Sneaking Suspicions: Leonardo

Michelangelo's POV

It was just like any other night: playing some video games until an ungodly hour, texting my lady on the side. Master Splinter hasn't let us out much since Leo came home. All we've done is train all day and eat together, which meant no more nightly patrols and more time to beat my high scores. I decided to kick it old school and play some Guitar Hero before bed.

It was late, but not too late. Donnie was sat at the dinner table, messing with one of his new inventions again. I never know what he's making. I keep asking for jetpacks, but he hasn't caved yet. As I was setting up the plastic guitar, I heard the doors to the dojo slide open and shut.

"Hey, Raph," I called. "You wanna play some Guitar Hero?" I grabbed the second guitar off its stand and held it out to him.

He had a towel draped around his shoulders, beads of sweat on his forehead from his workout. Raph stopped in his tracks, glancing between the TV and the toy guitar. I watched him shake his head and walk over to the fridge to fetch something to eat.

I whined and lowered the guitar. "C'mon! You guys are lamer than ever!"

"Mikey, how many times do I have to tell you? I don't have time to be playing games with you. I'm working, and so are you," Donnie replied before glancing at Raph and mumbling under his breath. "Though I can't say the same for others."

Raph slammed the fridge door shut, making both Donnie and I jump. "You wanna keep talking, Four Eyes?"

"I mean what else is there to say? Unlike you, we actually do something with our lives." Donnie argued back.

I gulped. This isn't going to end well.

"Don't bring me into this, dude!" I begged.

Donnie looked back at me with a glare. "It's true, isn't it? All you do is sleep all day." He finished, turning back at our older brother.

Raph scoffed. "Does it look like I'm sleeping now, tough guy? How about," he reached over Donnie and picked up a piece of his new invention. "You stop playing Einstein and hit the-"

Raph paused and stared at the piece in his hand, but I couldn't see it from where I stood in the living room.

"Why are you-"

Donnie swiped the piece out of Raph's hand and buried it in the pile of other scrap strewn across the table. "It's nothing!"

Raph quirked an eyebrow and stared at him for a moment, I guess debating whether or not he cared enough to press further. Without saying another word, he grabbed the soda can that Donnie had been drinking from and made his way upstairs.

I stared between the two in confusion as I slowly walked towards Donnie, watching as he hurriedly packed up his things.

"Don?" I said softly, ready to run in case he yelled at me, too.

He didn't even look up at me as grabbed a plastic bag and practically dumped everything into it. "Yes, Mikey?"

"Do you think you could check out that laptop I always use? The one with the sticker I made? It's acting kinda funky." I said.

"Yeah, sure." He then got up and left in a hurry, carrying the bag close to his chest.

I don't even think he listened to me.

I sighed and returned to the guitar I abandoned in the living room.

What was all of that about anyways? If he didn't want anyone to see, why work on it in the kitchen? Then again, Raph usually never lingers long enough to notice what anyone else is doing, and I know better than to mess with Donnie when he's working.

It wasn't as fun playing Guitar Hero like it used to be. Back then, when we were little, we used to all play together and fight over who got to play what. Raph always wanted the drums, but Master Splinter stopped letting him since he almost broke it one time.

I subconsciously flicked and clicked the buttons on the guitar like I'd always done 1000 times before. Each song and level was pure muscle memory to me at this point. I don't remember when I stopped playing and just watched my character get booed off the stage.

Sometimes I missed those days of actually being a family.

Snapping myself out of my thoughts, I turned the TV off and sat down on the floor in total darkness. I thought about heading over to (Y/N)'s later, but I figured she'd just want to sleep after getting home from work. I checked my phone for the time when I heard the entrance to the lair slide open.

I looked up from where I sat and watched as Leo crept into the lair. What was he doing coming in so late? When did he even leave? I watched him take out his phone and stare at something on the screen for a second - a text I'm assuming - and type something with a grin on his face.

Okay, I know he was gone for a while, but I doubt he'd be that happy to be texting any of us turtles back.

Who is he talking to?

My phone started vibrating. Leo's head snapped in my direction and I ducked behind the couch again.

Shit! What do I do? What do I do?!

I quickly closed my eyes and flopped down on the floor, pretending like I was asleep this whole time. I slowed my breathing, listening as Leo's footsteps grew closer and closer towards me until they stopped.

Did he leave? Am I clear?

"Mikey," Leo whispered. "Mikey, wake up."

I let out a sharp inhale and I opened my eyes, looking around the room in a confused daze.

"Huh? What?" I looked up at Leo and rubbed my eyes.

"You fell asleep in the living room again." He said.

"Oh, dude," I pretended to groan in pain, standing up slowly and hunching over with a hand on back of my shell. "My back."

Leo patted my back and started to guide me towards the stairs. "Let's get you to bed, big guy."

I lazily nodded my head, keeping up with my half-asleep act as he led me to my room. The whole way up, my mind was racing with questions. He'd always get on us, especially Raph, for leaving the lair, so why was he sneaking out, too? And who was he talking to on the phone to make him smile so much? The smile on his face was bigger than the one I saw when he came back home!

I guess I was so lost in thought that I didn't even realize we made it to my room, and Leo was calling my name to get me to walk inside. I forced myself to trudge over to my bed and flop face first into the mattress, half-waving and mumbling a "goodnight" back to Leo as he closed the door to my room. Turning over to face the ceiling, I stayed up and kept thinking to myself about what I saw.

What is he hiding from us?

____

Oooooh! I guess Leo isn't so sneaky after all! I wanted to switch it up and write chapters for each turtle in the perspective of someone else, so I'm hoping I don't regret this and accidentally make it harder on myself to write. Please leave a vote, comment and share with your friends if you enjoyed it! And I will see you in the next chapter. Bye!