Evermore: Raphael (Song Fic)

Inspired by the song Evermore by Dan Stevens.

____

Raphael's POV

"I'm (Y/N). What's your name?"

"Raphael."

• • •

Lying wide awake in bed, I tossed and turned for hours on end as my mind raced with one too many thoughts. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw the same thing: her wide, (e/c) eyes, her beautiful smile, and her (h/l), (h/c) hair. I saw her angelic face in my head and heard that sweet, soft voice of hers mixed in with that laugh that practically drove me crazy.

Ever since I met her, I couldn't stop thinking about her. I hated how soft she made me feel, but I just loved being around her too much to care. Only she was able to make me feel this way: so vulnerable. When I'm around her, I feel like I can just open up and say anything, which isn't exactly my cup of tea. Of course, I don't tell her everything. I make sure I keep some things to myself for the sake of my pending embarrassment.

I was never close to my emotions. And I mean those sappy, deep emotions. I didn't think someone like me would need to deal with them, because what were the chances that someone as beautiful as (Y/N) would actually accept a giant mutant like myself. I mean, I know I'm fairly better looking than my brothers - especially Mikey - and for a mutant turtle in general, but really. I think I used up my luck on her accepting me rather than her actually returning my feelings.

• • •

"Hey, Raph? Thank you."

"For what?"

"For always being here when I need you."

"... You're welcome."

• • •

But sometimes I ask myself: "What if I'm wrong?"

I won't know how she feels about me if I sit back and do nothing about it. But for once in my life, I'm scared to try.

I didn't think a giant monster like me could ever fall in love. It just happened. No one else knows - I wouldn't dare let them see this side of me: all weak and vulnerable. And a part of me doesn't want her to know either, but it hurts.

Sometimes I just want to grab her and kiss her, to tell her everything that I feel about her until my heart is wrenched dry of love. Maybe then I'll know the truth.

• • •

"You wanted to talk?"

"Yeah, I just needed some advice on something. It'll only take a minute."

"Alright. Spill."

"Well, there's this guy that I've known for quite a while now... and I think I might have feelings for him. Should I tell him instead of waiting on him to make the first move?"

"I think it might depend on the person. Who's the guy?"

"... Leonardo."

"If that's the case... go for it."

"Thanks, Raph. I knew you could help me!"

"Yeah... No problem."

• • •

I guess it's too late for that now. I let fear get in the way of getting what I truly wanted in life, so I lost the chance I didn't know I had. Everyday that I look at her with Leo, I think about what could have been. Maybe if I hadn't been so scared, I'd be the one holding her in my arms when she falls asleep. Maybe if I wasn't so stupid, I would've known what I had to lose. Maybe if I had taken that chance, I'd be able to call her mine forever.

But I don't blame her. I put my heart in her hands without her knowing, and she let it go to hold someone else's. I can't say that she broke my heart, because she didn't. It was my own selfishness and fear of rejection that did it. But that fact alone doesn't shake away the pain.

But everyday, I continue to be with her in any way I can in hopes that something will change between us. Maybe someday I'll get my chance.

• • •

"They say if you love something, let it go. If they were yours to keep, they'll come back.

"I wait with open arms and an open heart, thinking that you'll accept them someday. And I'll continue to wait for evermore."

____

I know this isn't your typical "Raph x Reader" story, but don't be mad! I just really love this song and thought it would be fun to see Raph's soft side for once. Please leave a vote, comment, and share with your friends if you enjoyed it! And I will see you in the next one. Bye!