7|career exile

THE CAREERS WERE MAKING CAMP IN THE WOODS

THE CAREERS WERE MAKING CAMP IN THE WOODS. Apollo and Hunter used their strong hands to haul logs and make a base of sorts.

Pearl had just finished fishing for the day, which required an outing that was a bit far away from the forest. She hadn't seen Opal in a bit, and Pearl had ever intent to give the girl some of the fish she caught.

She wandered through the beginning of the woods, softly calling the girl's name. "Opal!"

Pearl knew she was in Opal's territory, because she saw the small shelter that the girl made. She grew worried when she continued to receive no response.

"Opal."

It was silent again, and Pearl was about ready to give up. She started to walk away when she heard someone running towards her.

"Pearl!"

Opal caught her off guard by pulling her into a tight embrace. Pearl relaxed and slowly put her arm around the girl. Only their breathing was heard in the emptiness of the forest.

Pearl pulled away and offered the basket to Opal. "I went fishing specifically for you."

Opal's face lit up again as her hungry eyes scanned all of the food in the basket. "I feel awful, Pearl. I don't want to take away all the food you've collected."

"It's ok."

Opal smiled. "Thank you."

"I won't be with the Careers much longer, I promise," Pearl said before her and Opal parted.

It was true. Pearl really had to make a move against them soon. She was still struggling to figure out how she was going to take on all of them.

She was heading back toward the base of the Careers.

"Where do you think you're headed?"

Pearl turned around at the sound of the deep voice. It belonged to Hunter. He slowly walked towards her, while brushing some of his dark locks back.

"Hunter... toward our base."

Her stomach twisted in knots as he neared her. Pearl knew that he knew. He must have been stalking in the distance while she spoke with Opal.

"I always knew you would choose that District 12 girl."

He wasn't wrong. Opal was more human than any of them were. She was pure and she was what a true ally should be.

"I was just giving her some food. I couldn't let her starve after what she did for me," Pearl tried to explain.

Everything became more intense when she noticed the extremely large knife in Hunter's hand.

Hunter was close now. He took the knife and lifted her chin up with it. Pearl looked up in fear and fury.

"If you were loyal, you'd kill her. I tried to warn Apollo about you from day 1. I never quite understood why he took such a liking to you," Hunter snickered.