23|unforgiveable wound

PEARL STRUGGLED TO MOVE

PEARL STRUGGLED TO MOVE. She let out a small whimper as she was only pulled tighter against Coriolanus's chest. She couldn't stand the sight of his blood.

She had stabbed him. And he was the one smirking. He was holding her wrists to the ground and almost shaking with satisfaction.

"You can't kill me. Even if you wanted to."

"Aren't you in pain?" Pearl asked breathlessly.

"I've been in so much pain throughout my life that I hardly feel it."

"That's not true."

Coriolanus chuckled. "Stab me again if you don't believe me."

Pearl tried to free a wrist to grab a hold of her trident, but he was still holding both down. "I-I can't-"

"That's the point, love."

Pearl finally broke free and grabbed her trident again. She held it above him, but hesitated to make any moves.

All at once, soldiers came rushing into Snow's office. Pearl could hear the loading of their guns. She could hear their aggravated runs. One of them looked her dead in the eye. James.

He had been here all this time. He had seen the depth of Coriolanus's infatuation and Pearl's hopeless love. It was an endless game of cat and mouse.

James had a gun the entire time. Soldiers stood behind him as he pointed the gun in Pearl's direction. Pearl didn't have time to react. She didn't even have time to arm herself with her trident.

She felt something slice through her skin. Pearl's entire body felt numb. She had felt this same sense of uneasiness in the aren, but she never had this much pain involved.

It took Pearl a few moments to process what had happened. Everything was moving in slow motion, as if at least an hour had passed. It had only been minutes.

Her eyes were positioned with dizziness as they traveled down her body. A red liquid oozed all over her skin.

Pearl had been shot.

She could make out the blurry and tall figure that belonged to James. He held the gun that had shot her in his hand. The soldiers stood behind him as if they were united.

Then Pearl heard Coriolanus's voice. She could make out his beautiful blue eyes even with her sense of fatigue.

"Pearl," he whispered in a worry. She felt contact against her skin but this time it was certainly more gentle. "My rose, you are going to be ok."