21|stuck within the capitol walls

AUDREY SCURRIED OUT OF THE ROOM AS CORIOLANUS TOOK OFF HIS COAT

AUDREY SCURRIED OUT OF THE ROOM AS CORIOLANUS TOOK OFF HIS COAT. Pearl took a deep breath before approaching him.

"Coryo."

Coriolanus's blue eyes widened just as she expected. Pearl heard Tigris use the nickname before, and Pearl figured she would hit a nerve with it.

She saw the softness take over his face. Coriolanus blinked before looking at her skeptically. The sternness fell back into his eyes.

"Why are you calling me that?"

Pearl looked at him innocently, her hand brushing against the maroon coat he had just hung.

"I've heard many call you Coryo before, so why can't I call you by that?"

Coriolanus tensed, as if he was trying his best to restrain himself from reaching out to touch her soft skin. "It doesn't seem like something you'd do."

She suddenly found her back against the wall. "But those who are closest with me have used it."

Pearl wanted so badly to make a sarcastic remark, or even to push him away from her. She knew it wasn't the time, especially if she wanted him to not be furious with her by morning.

"Do you like it?" Pearl asked softly.

"Anything that comes out of your lips sounds extravagant, my rose," Coriolanus whispered.

His usual antics came along. The cold hand running through her hair, and the suffocation of the rose scent. His soft lips pushing against hers...

What was Pearl to him? Did he think of her as a potential lover or just a toy? None of it would matter tonight, and Pearl made sure to assure herself that. She would be free.

The night seemed to be going similar to yesterday. Pearl got into her night clothes, and was a little less hesitant to climb into Coriolanus's bed.

Not to glorify any of this, but Pearl believed that this wasn't as bad as she expected. Yes, she was forced to be in very close proximity with a murder, but she wasn't being tortured to the extent she thought she would.

But maybe that was only because she wasn't causing any trouble. Pearl shuddered at just the thought of Coriolanus finding her mid escape.

She felt him slip into bed next to her. Would this be her routine if she wasn't leaving tomorrow? Pearl wondered what he had planned for her in the future. Coriolanus couldn't have went through all of that just to keep her prisoner in his room for the rest of her life.