17|pieces of the past

BEING BACK IN SNOW'S OFFICE WASN'T SOMETHING PEARL HOPED TO ACCOMPLISH

BEING BACK IN SNOW'S OFFICE WASN'T SOMETHING PEARL HOPED TO ACCOMPLISH. She entered behind him, noticing things that she hadn't before.

On a shelf, there was a glass labeled POISON. Her eyes flickered back to Snow. She could easily use that to get him out of her way. Gain his trust and then slip poison into his drink.

Pearl realized she was staring for too long when she felt Snow's glare. "Poisoning me would be useless. I'm immune, sweetheart."

Pearl raised her eyebrows. "How are you immune?"

"I've drank so much poison that it doesn't hurt me anymore. Just a little sting."

Her heart raced. Why would Snow purposely drink poison? His body had to be extremely strong to survive countless doses of poison. Pearl would fall limp with just one sip.

Pearl began to look for some other way to escape. She regretted saying she would do anything to get her family back. She was willing to take risks for them, but she had no idea what the president had in store for her.

Pearl was shocked to learn that they were alive. It was like a wound inside of her was healed. She couldn't be sure that Snow was telling the truth, but she liked to believe that he was.

She still felt uncomfortable with Snow's constant presence. She felt afraid to speak out. Last time she went against him in this very room, Pearl was taken to the room that tortured her with the sound of her loved ones' voices.

Her eyes found a weapon in a glass case. Her trident. "Why do you have this?"

Creep.

Snow chuckled. "Oh, that? I just figured I'd keep it since it belongs to the victor of my games."

Pearl went over to the case, opening the door. She looked at Snow for permission to touch it, and he simply nodded. Pearl took the weapon into her hands. The weapon carried the blood of others. She had killed people with this.

Pearl had vowed to do anything to get her family back, but would she really have to worry about that if she killed him on the spot? She knew he was behind her somewhere, but if she just spun around with her trident and stabbed him straight through the heart, was there anything he could do about it?

Pearl could save Panem once and for all. She held her trident with a tight grip and did exactly that. But as soon as she turned around, Snow was already in front of her, his hand holding the trident. He prevented it from going into his chest.

"I knew you'd pull something like this. I just wanted to put your loyalty to the test," he whispered.

Her hand was shaky as it gripped onto the trident for dear life. Snow was again stronger as he pulled it out of her hands.