Season Four: 117

Rain falls as we drive to the animal clinic. Scott and Lydia are seated in the back while Stiles is driving. Baby Derek, as I'm calling him, is unconscious in the passengers seat. I'm sitting in between the two front seats, my back to the dashboard.

No one has spoken yet.

I grab Derek's left hand and immediately notice the warmth that's missing.

"Stiles, do you have a blanket" I ask.

"Ya, it's in the back under the passengers seat. Scot, could you-" Stiles cuts himself off as Scott hands me the blanket.

"Thanks." I say.

I drape the blanket over Derek and we continue to drive in silence.

_____________

We reach the animal clinic and Scott has me wait in the jeep with Derek as the other three get Deaton. They're back minutes later and Scott throws Derek over his shoulder while I quickly get out and follow him inside.

Deaton clears the metal table and Scott places Derek on it. Once Deaton looks at Baby Derek's face, he comments,

"Wow."

I know. That was my reaction. I mean, who knew Derek was this hot as a teenager.

"Wow?" Stiles asks. "Wow as in 'I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do' kind of wow. That's the kind of wow we're hoping for."

"I think you might be overestimating my abilities." Deaton tells him.

I grab Derek's right hand in mine and say, "He's still cold. Really cold."

Deaton looks at my worried face and grabs Derek's other hand, checking his pulse.

"Do you think this is permanent?" Scott asks

Deaton shines a light in both of Derek's eyes than says, "I'm not sure a medical diagnosis is adequate. This is well beyond my experience."

"So what do we do with him?" Lydia asks.

"Until he wakes up, probably not much." Deaton starts. "Might be best to leave him with me. He'll be safe here."

"You mean from Kate." Stiles corrects.

Deaton turns to him and says, "If she's alive and she is who you say she is, she wouldn't be able to walk past that gate."

"Why would she want to do this to him?" Lydia wonders aloud.

"Knowing Kate, it's probably for a reason that wont be good for anyone but her."

"And bad for everyone else." Stiles chimes in.

"You know you guys should probably go home." Deaton suggests. "He doesn't look to be in any danger. So maybe the rest of you should get some sleep. It's a school night. You all need to start taking care of your own lives again."

"Someone should stay with him." Scott says.

Feeling Derek's grip on my hand tighten, I say, "I'm staying. My grades are fine despite missing a few classes."

"So not okay with this." Stiles mutters.

"Guys, go. Derek would do the same for me."

"No."

"Text me if anything happens." Scott tells me.

"No, still not okay with it... Not going anywhere." Stiles says.

Scott grabs him by the shoulder, pulling him away.

"Alright, just cause you're stronger than me." Stiles caves.