the breakfast bunch

During an intimate moment, Beck had broached the subject of taking his relationship with Jade a step further. It was a moment of vulnerability for them both, as they sat quietly in Beck's RV, the usual playful banter replaced by an uncharacteristic tension.

"Jade," Beck began, hesitance clear in his voice. "I... I've been wondering if you thought about... you know, us... taking the next step."

Jade looked at him, her eyes a little wide, "You mean... sex?"

Beck nodded, looking serious. "I mean, only if you want to. I just... when we make out, it feels like maybe... you're ready for more."

Jade took a deep breath, looking down at her hands. "Beck, do we have to have sex?"

Beck was taken aback. "No... no, of course not," he reassured her, reaching over to take her hands in his own. "We don't have to do anything you're not comfortable with. I just thought... you might want to."

Jade looked up at him then, her eyes full of mixed emotions. "I just don't know, Beck... I'm not sure if I'm ready yet."

The honesty in her voice caused Beck to squeeze her hands gently. "That's okay, Jade," he said softly. "We can take our time. There's no rush." His reassurance seemed to relax her a bit, and a grateful smile tugged at her lips.

*

In the bustling halls of Hollywood Arts High School, a palpable sense of anticipation hung in the air among the gang. It was Thursday, just two days before they planned to meet at Robbie's place, whose parents were conveniently away for the weekend.

"Are we really doing this?" Cat asked in a hushed tone, her eyes wide with a mix of excitement and apprehension. They were gathered around her locker, speaking in low voices.

"Yeah, why not? It's just weed," Beck replied nonchalantly, leaning against the locker next to hers. But even he couldn't hide the slight nervousness in his voice.

Jade, usually the epitome of cool and composed, fiddled with a strand of her hair. "I've read about it, you know. It's supposed to be... relaxing," she said, trying to sound indifferent, but the curiosity in her eyes gave her away.

Andre, flipping through a notebook, chimed in, "My cousin tried it once. Said it was like floating on clouds. I'm kinda curious to see if that's true."

Tori, who had been quiet, finally spoke up. "Okay, but we need to be careful, guys. We don't really know how it's going to affect us."

Robbie, holding Rex, nodded in agreement. "That's why we're doing it at my place. Safe environment, no judgment, just us experiencing something new together."

Jade raised an eyebrow. "Look at Robbie being all responsible," she teased, a slight smirk on her lips.

Robbie grinned back. "Hey, I can be responsible when I want to be. Plus, I've got the stash."

The group chuckled, the mood lightening. As they dispersed to their next class, the anticipation for the weekend grew. It was a step into the unknown, a teenage rite of passage they were about to experience together. For Jade, Beck, Tori, Cat, Andre, and Robbie, it was a moment of youthful rebellion, a small act of defiance in their otherwise scripted high school lives. The excitement was undeniable, yet underlined with a sense of nervousness about what the experience would bring.

*

The evening at Robbie's place was shrouded in a dreamlike haze. Soft music played in the background, its melodies weaving through the dimly lit room, adding to the surreal ambiance. Smoke curled and danced in the air, enveloping the group in a gentle cloud that brought with it a sense of light-headed euphoria. Laughter filled the space, bouncing off the walls in a symphony of joy and carefree spirits.

As the night unfolded, it became a tapestry of silly antics, infectious giggles, and spontaneous bursts of philosophical thoughts. Time seemed to blur, moments melting into one another, creating a memorable experience marked by laughter and a sense of whimsical wonder. The atmosphere was one of relaxed camaraderie, where worries faded into the background, replaced by the simple pleasure of being in the moment with friends.

*

The morning light pierced through the haze, illuminating the aftermath of the previous night's adventure. As Jade stirred from her stupor, the reality of the situation slowly dawned on her. She was lying next to Beck, the arm he had draped over her waist a heavy reminder of the closeness they had shared. But as the fog in her mind began to clear, anxiety curled in her stomach. What had they done last night? Had they crossed the line line they had discussed not to cross?

Beck, sensing her distress, groggily opened his eyes. "Jade?" he questioned, his voice thick with sleep.

Her eyes met his, and for a moment she felt paralyzed. "Did we... did we do anything last night?" she asked, her voice barely a whisper.

His confusion was evident as he propped himself on an elbow. "What do you mean?"

"I mean," she started, her words sharp with worry, "did we do... that?"

Understanding dawned on his face, and his expression softened. "No, Jade, we didn't."

"But how can you be sure?" Jade challenged, her heart pounding in her chest. "We were high, Beck. We might not remember."

"I'm sure," he said, his voice firm. "Because I would never take advantage of you, or anyone, especially not in that state."

"But you can't be certain!" Jade retorted, panic creeping in. "What if you, or I, or Cat, or Tori... what if any of us were harmed and we can't remember?"

The room fell silent, the gravity of Jade's words hanging in the air. Beck looked at her, his brown eyes filled with worry. "I... I didn't think about that," he admitted. "But I don't think that happened, Jade."

"And how would you know?" Jade asked, her voice trembling. "You were as high as the rest of us."

Beck was silent, the truth of Jade's words sinking in. Finally, he sighed, running a hand through his hair. "You're right," he said. "I don't know. I can't be sure."

Jade felt tears prick at her eyes, and she quickly looked away. She felt Beck's hand on her shoulder, but she shrugged it off. "Just stop," she muttered, standing up and making her way towards the door.

"Jade, wait..." Beck started, but Jade was already out the door, leaving him alone with his thoughts and regrets.

*

Jade was never one to sit still when her mind was filled with worries. She paced back and forth in her room, her mind a whirlwind of thoughts. She had already scheduled a doctor's appointment for herself, and in the meantime, she had taken a pregnancy test. It was negative, but it didn't ease her worries. She couldn't shake off the fear that something had happened that night while they were high.

The next day at school, Beck approached her, but she avoided him, not ready to face him yet. However, he persisted, and eventually, she could no longer avoid the conversation.

"Jade, we need to talk," Beck said, grabbing her arm gently.

"I don't want to talk to you," Jade responded, yanking her arm away from him. "I don't even know if I can trust you anymore."

"Jade, you're being ridiculous," Beck said, his voice raising a little. "You know I would never do anything to hurt you."

"Well, how can I be sure of that?" Jade retorted, her voice laced with anger. "We were both high, Beck. How can you be so sure that nothing happened?"

"I just know, okay?" Beck shot back, clearly frustrated. "I'm not that kind of person, Jade. I'm not."

"You weren't in your right mind, Beck!" Jade shouted, her eyes welling up with tears. "Neither of us were!"

The argument continued, both of them letting out their frustrations and fears. It was a heated, painful fight, but it was one that needed to happen. It was clear to both of them that trust had been broken that night, and it was going to take some time and effort to repair it.