hiding in the bathroom stalls

In the muted solitude of the bathroom, Jade found a temporary refuge in the last stall, sinking down onto the cold, sterile tiles. As she drew her knees to her chest, she enclosed herself in a self-made fortress, attempting to ward off the cruel words that clung to her like a haunting refrain. Although the frivolity and clamor of her Pop and Jazz singing class seemed a world away, their taunts echoed relentlessly in her mind. Jade had performed a duet with Tori and was already feeling vulnerable.

The burgeoning knot in her throat threatened to choke her, yet she fought valiantly against the tears that welled up. She wouldn't allow herself to crumble, wouldn't grant anyone the satisfaction of witnessing her tears. Jade West was meant to be a tough, intimidating presence, not a delicate soul, shattering silently in the school bathroom. Yet the irony was, underneath the staunch exterior, she was as fragile as a crystal figure, quick to shatter yet masterful in hiding her fractures.

The restroom door screeched open, followed by a flurry of giggles, the sound ricocheting off the bathroom walls. Jade's heart pounded relentlessly, her blood roaring in her ears as she swiftly rose to her feet in the stall, her back flattened against the cold wall. She desperately prayed they would overlook her presence.

"Did you see Amy Lee's performance today?" A voice tittered, the words piercing through Jade like a razor-sharp blade. The nickname, a cruel mockery of her gothic style and heavy makeup, was an open secret in school.

"Her clothes were practically bursting at the seams," another voice sneered, followed by a burst of laughter.

Each word was a brutal punch, making her stomach churn. Jade bit her lip, her hand clamped over her mouth to suppress any noise that threatened to escape. She yearned to scream, to lash back, to make them realize how monstrous they were. But she couldn't. Because to Jade, their words were the bitter truths she had been running from.

Her eyes darted to the graffiti on the bathroom stall. "Amy Lee needs a diet", "Twilight vampire can't sing", "Amy Lee's a try-hard", "Gothic wannabe"...each vicious word stabbed into her heart, more hurtful than the previous. These invisible bullets aimed at Jade, cleverly disguised with her nicknames, bore through her resilience.

When the cruel laughter finally subsided and the bathroom door creaked shut, Jade found herself swallowed by the echoing silence once again. A chill coursed through her veins at the realization of her impending departure from this temporary sanctuary. She would have to venture out, brace the world again, and adorn her battle armor of faux toughness.