jade sneaks food

The Hollywood Arts library was a sanctuary for many students, a quiet place to study, read, or simply escape the chaos of the school day. For Jade, it had become her refuge, especially during lunch breaks. The tall bookshelves and the soft hum of the air conditioner provided a comforting backdrop, shielding her from the prying eyes and cruel whispers that seemed to follow her everywhere.

Jade had always been diligent about her studies, but these days, she buried herself in her work with an intensity that bordered on obsession. It was a distraction, a way to keep the pain and loneliness at bay. But as the clock ticked closer to the end of lunch, her stomach would often betray her, growling in protest.

She had devised a system to sneak in small snacks. Today, it was a packet of gummy bears she had cleverly hidden in her pencil pouch. With a quick glance around to ensure no one was watching, she discreetly pulled one out, popping it into her mouth and savoring the sweet taste. The sugary treat was a small comfort, a brief respite from the weight of her emotions.

Every so often, she'd also sneak in a packet of nuts, their salty crunch providing a satisfying contrast to the gummies. She had become adept at eating them quietly, ensuring that the librarians remained oblivious to her secret snack sessions.

As she chewed, Jade's thoughts drifted to the friends she once laughed with, the times when lunch was a joyful break filled with chatter and shared food. She missed those days, but the library, with its quiet corners and rows of books, offered a different kind of solace.

She knew she couldn't hide forever, that eventually, she'd have to face the world outside. But for now, in this quiet space surrounded by stories of love, adventure, and hope, Jade found a momentary escape from the harsh reality of her life.

*

The hallways of Hollywood Arts were always alive with chatter, laughter, and the occasional burst of song. But for Jade, they had become a maze of avoidance. She'd weave through the crowd, her dark brown hair, adorned with green extensions, flowing behind her like a protective curtain. The vibrant green was a stark contrast to the paleness of her face, which had grown more pronounced over the weeks.

Jade's morning routine had become mechanical. Wake up, drink a large black coffee with two sugars, and rush to school. The caffeine did little to stave off the fatigue that clung to her, a byproduct of her erratic eating habits and the emotional turmoil that consumed her. Occasionally, she'd grab a snack from the JetBrew stand or Festus' food truck, but those moments were rare. The idea of eating in public, of being seen in such a vulnerable state, was unbearable.

Lunchtimes were the hardest. The library had become her sanctuary, a place where she could hide away from the world. On the days when her hunger became too much to bear, she'd sneak snacks, eating them with the same stealth she used to navigate the school corridors. But more often than not, she'd simply bury herself in her studies, using academic excellence as a shield against the pain.

The effects of her erratic diet were subtle but noticeable. Her skin had lost its glow, her eyes often looked tired, and there was a fragility to her that hadn't been there before. She'd lost a few pounds, and while it wasn't drastic, the change was evident to those who knew her well.

But it wasn't just the physical changes that were concerning. Jade's spark, her fiery spirit, seemed to have dimmed. She was quieter, more reserved, and there was a sadness in her eyes that was hard to miss. She missed her friends, the camaraderie they shared, but the fear of rejection, of being deemed too intense or too much, kept her at a distance.

Dinner was another challenge. The tension at home, especially with her mother, made meal times a battleground. More often than not, Jade would sneak food to her room, eating in solitude and seeking comfort in the brief moments of peace it provided.