car, rain and fire

A week had passed, and the events at school were temporarily replaced by a somber atmosphere. Cat's usual bubbly demeanor was clouded by sadness. Her favorite actress, Mona Patterson from 'I Married My Mom', had passed away, and she was visibly upset.

As they gathered by the lockers, Tori, who was partnering with Cat for a science project, felt a pang of sympathy. "Hey," Tori said, her voice filled with compassion. "We should honor Mona. How about we light her a candle at her house?"

Cat's eyes brightened at the idea, and she nodded eagerly. The problem was, the house was in San Diego, and they needed a ride. Seeing Jade in the distance, they decided to approach her. Despite her recent isolation, Jade had a driver's license, and they hoped she'd be willing to help.

"Hey, Jade," Tori began, casting a glance at Cat's hopeful face. "Could you do us a favor? We need a ride to San Diego. Could you...?"

"Fine," Jade huffed, her gaze bouncing between Tori and Cat. She agreed to drive them after school in the evening, using Cat's brother's car, since her own was in the garage for a check-up.

Later that evening, as the three girls climbed into the car, they realized a problem. Cat's brother's car was a manual, and Jade was only legally licensed to drive automatic.

"Wait, Jade," Tori interjected. "What's the big deal about driving manual?"

Jade shot her an annoyed look, gritting her teeth in frustration. "No wonder you failed your driver's theory exam, Vega," she retorted. She quickly explained that her license permitted her to drive automatic cars only and that driving manual could land them in big trouble if they were caught.

Jade had only practiced with manual transmission briefly last year when Beck had taken her for a few illegal practice drives in his manual car. But since she'd learned on an automatic and practiced on one, she'd likely forgotten all about driving manual.

Nonetheless, Tori and Cat were insistent. Finally, Jade gave in, swallowing her apprehensions. "Alright," she snapped. "But put your seatbelts on, or I'm not driving."

Getting behind the wheel, Jade felt a wave of panic wash over her. Her hands shook as she tried to maneuver the stick shift, occasionally jerking the car violently as she fumbled with the gears.

"And you'd better pray the cops don't make us pull over," Jade warned, her heart hammering in her chest as she navigated the unfamiliar mechanics of the car.

Throughout the ride, Tori and Cat attempted to talk about Beck and the recent breakup, but Jade shut them down immediately. She was dealing with enough as it was, trying to drive this car. The last thing she needed was to discuss her crumbling love life.

When Tori and Cat began discussing their science project, Jade could barely concentrate. "STOP!" She yelled, struggling to keep the car on the road. Driving a manual car was proving more challenging than she'd anticipated, and the ongoing chatter wasn't helping.

The journey to San Diego was nothing short of treacherous. They found themselves driving through a horrible rainstorm, in Cat's brother's convertible with a broken top. By the time they reached a gas station to dry off, they were all drenched and miserable.

Their break was interrupted by an unwanted encounter. A creep at the gas station was making unsolicited advances, forcing them to make a hasty retreat. As they continued their journey, Jade's frustration was palpable.

When they finally arrived at Mona Patterson's house, Cat stepped out, holding a cinnamon bun-scented candle. She set it gently at Mona's doorstep, and her voice quivered as she began her tribute speech. "Mona, you were an amazing actress and..."

Suddenly, the front door opened, revealing none other than Mona Patterson herself, alive and well. "What in the world..." she began, squinting at the three girls standing outside her house.

"Mona Patterson joins The Dead," Cat muttered, pointing at the headline on her phone. "I thought..."

"Sweetie, The Dead is a TV show I just joined," Mona laughed, and to their horror, she pulled out a squirt gun, aiming at the girls. "Now shoo, before I have to call the police!"

Jade was seething. They had risked so much, broken so many rules, and it was all for nothing. Worse yet, it was due to a simple misunderstanding. The drive back to Los Angeles was even more tense. The fact that they were driving past their legal curfew, with Jade behind the wheel of a car she wasn't legally allowed to operate, added to the mounting tension.

Once they were back in Los Angeles, Jade dropped off Tori and Cat, looking visibly angry. With the subway closed, Jade had to take a taxi home. She kept replaying the day's events in her head, the anxiety making her chest feel tight.

When she finally reached her room, Jade couldn't hold back her tears any longer. She let herself cry, releasing the fear and anxiety she had bottled up throughout the evening. Today had been a disaster, and she was terrified of the possible repercussions. Despite her tough exterior, Jade was not one to break rules, and today, she had crossed a line she had never intended to.