Fighting with a Shadow

[Annabeth's POV]

Loud watery neighing and salt water splashing onto my face woke me up. I was pulled me out of a deep sleep. I rubbed my eyes and shuffled around on the back of the hippocampus, resting my back against something, jostling with the fleece draped over my shoulders

There was a lot more energy and warmth flowing through my body now that I had been healed under the fleece for however long it's been since we left the island.

The hippocampi were acting strange as they moved around in the water. I blinked quickly, trying to force the sleep out of my eyes. I brushed my hair out of my face, feeling the differences now. The gash in my head was gone now, and some of the other broken bones I'd sustained were healed.

I sat up and looked out at the encroaching bay, wiping my eyes and spotting the other hippocampi racing through the water.

I turned to see Y/N sleeping peacefully.

It turns out the fleece wasn't weighing me down. Y/N's arms were wrapped around me. It slipped my mind that I had made him put the magical healing item over the both of us, and then I...

Oh gods, I fell asleep on him.

I don't want to know how bright red my face got as I slipped out of his arms and scooted further up the hippocampi to give him some space. That must've been so embarrassing for him with me just laying there.

But he didn't look bothered. He looked like he was resting peacefully. It seemed like he was dreaming, as a soft, pleased smile passed across his face. I really hope he hadn't noticed what all was in my vision from the siren, because that would be a conversation I'm not ready for.

I couldn't help but stare at his peaceful face as the pod of hippocampi sped off toward the beach. He looked like nothing in the last few years had ever phased him. Scars and blemishes that used to be prominent on his face had healed, and the bags under his eyes had faded slowly until they were gone. The fleece was working its nature magic, fittingly on the son of a nature goddess.

I could've sworn he was glowing silver. He looked stronger than I'd ever seen, but suddenly, he started shaking and sputtering. The glow faded. It gave me pause as he went rigid again. I spotted the black tendrils of his curse crawling up his neck. Panicking, I scooted back towards him, gently holding his face as his body shook.

"Come on, Y/N I know you're in there. Come back." I squeezed his hand tightly, holding it up to my head, silently hoping, praying to my mother, or any of the gods that would listen that this wouldn't take him now. Not when we'd gotten so far in this quest.

I looked up at Y/N. His posture loosened, and his shoulders went slack. He'd thrown his head back while jostling around in this state. But he wasn't shaking anymore. His head moved, and he looked down, deep into my eyes with those stunning bronze orbs of his.

He shuddered out a breath and asked, "Annabeth?" His face suddenly turned a harsh shade of pink. "Why are you holding my hand?" he asked. I looked down and realized I still was holding onto it, my voice taking on a nervous tick. "No reason."

I let go and turned back around to face the water. "Where are we?" Y/N asked. I swallowed my nerves and stared back out at the city.

[Y/N's POV]

"Miami, I think," Annabeth said nervously. "But the hippocampi are acting funny."

I stretched, draping the fleece back over Annabeth's shoulders, feeling the newfound energy coursing through my systems. Breathing was easier, and I didn't feel much pain from this quest's complete mess.