Mortality

[Y/N's POV]

Pure silence.

For the first time in my life.

There was nothing.

No ringing, no buzzing, no screaming, or anger, no one trying to sway me to their side, no pain or anything of the sort.

There was just nothing.

I floated there, in a space I couldn't really describe. I figured I was dead by now. Wasn't hard to guess. You lose that much blood...

It was just like last time. I didn't feel anything. No shortness of breath, no pain of being blown open. No heartache that should have filled me after seeing Annabeth crying over me in my final moments. I felt calm, and at peace with my life, and subsequent end. There wasn't anything I could do about it now anyway.

I did feel grateful though, that I got to see her again before I went, before it was all over. I really hated to leave her like that, but it was either that or let the world end. And unfortunately, this was the best course of action.

There wasn't really anything discernible as I just existed in this space. It was a place between reality and the extent of my imagination. Was this what the fields of Asphodel felt like?

My senses gradually acclimated to the surreal existence. The soothing stillness of the white expanse persisted, and I couldn't help but feel eased at the contrast from the mess that used to be my mind.

The dark endless void that seemed to haunt my waking moments, compared to the emptiness of whatever this was. But out of nowhere:

"Did it work?" a girl's voice asked.

"What?"

Suddenly, the gentle whistling of wind. The chirping of birds, and the rustling of tree leaves filled the air.

I took a sharp intake of breath that I didn't realize I needed.

I sat up, and noticed I was in a clearing again. The woods of camp half blood. "Y/N, did it work?" the girl questioned, a mixture of hope and trepidation etched in her voice.

I turned and saw Lou Ellen looking back at me. She had her hands bound in chains and her legs crossed as she sat there staring at me.

The ambient sounds of nature, the rustling leaves, and the distant skittering of birds and other animals resonated through the clearing. In the midst of this sanctuary, Lou Ellen stared me down, her eyes aglow with anticipation.

I was still kind of reeling from everything that just happened. You know, dying and all, so outside of the last few moments, and a couple pretty significant moments, I couldn't remember much about myself. I remembered Annabeth, obviously, and Chiron, Zoe, Percy, and a bit of Lou Ellen, but that was really it at the moment. Every other memory was pretty fuzzy.

The daughter of Hecate scoffed. She clicked her tongue and massaged her face, the chains around her arms clinking as she moved.

"Y/N, do you remember the demon?" I nodded carefully. "Do you remember what I told you yesterday?" I wracked my brain, trying to put everything together.

Let go.

"I remember."

"Did you do it, and did it work?" she broached again. I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know..."