6 - As It Was

🐭War's POV

Life must go on.

In accounting terms, we call it going concern.

Simply means the business assumes it will meet its financial obligations when they come due.

Life must go on.

And so we did.

We went into our 'new normal' which to be honest is kinda cold.

We have breakfast together, on time, everyday as long as Belle's here. The oddest thing is that he seems totally fine. We act as if everything's okay.

But I don't think he is.

How can he be okay? Can you really turn it off? What you feel for someone else?

As days pass, that turn into weeks, which eventually turn into months... the more I felt out of it. I was just... waiting.

Waiting for him to see how ridiculous this arrangement is.

One time, Becky went in to visit and we got to talking.

"What are you doing, War?" she asked, as we sat on the gazebo after dinner.

"It's Yin's decision, Becks. I have to respect that." I said taking a long swig on the bottle at hand.

"And since when did you become alcoholic?" she asks.

"Hmm? Ohhh it's just a night cap." I murmur, biting my lip. Was I drinking too much? I don't think so.

"Well, what I'm saying is... maybe you should be the one to reach out. Yin has been putting all the effort since the accident. Why don't you extend an olive branch?" she asks, nestling the hot tea between her hands.

And then I told her what happened that last night.

Becky was silent for a good minute. I even thought she'd fallen asleep.

"Then... you must move on. That... there's no turning back after that." She whispered and looked farther out into the lake.

I don't know why, but how she said it made a click in my brain.

I fucked up. I... fucking fucked up.

I exhaled heavily.

At that time, I was just thinking of myself. Using whatever means that came up to me to get closer to the answers I've been dying to get.

But at what cost?

"You've really reached both of your limits. It's better to live amicably. Salvage what remaining... respect you have for each other." She said it so sullenly, it doesn't even feel comforting.

It's not that I couldn't just... let it go.

But I was so invested getting my memories back, I haven't really contemplated on the ramifications of the possibility that I don't get them back.

But the worst thing is... moving on my life build a life with someone else and getting my memories back. Based on what Becky has said, Yin was the love of my life.

Now how can I move forward with that at the back of my mind.

"So, any prospects?" she asks, and I sigh in defeat.

Fucking hell.

*

One seemingly normal morning changed everything.

The three of us are starting our meal when Yin's phone rang in the middle of the meal. We have a no phone policy during meals.

"Sorry, princess. I just have to get this." He said standing up. Maybe his new work got him busy. He walks towards the kitchen door.