Chapter Seventy

Lyra

"I don't think you realise how scary it is when you don't answer your phone." River ran a hand through his hair, before shoving his hands in his pockets.

"I didn't even know where you were."

"We can talk when we get home."

"I don't want to leave yet."

He stared down at me. "Are you actually having fun with Kol?"

"More with Charlotte. He isn't so bad, all the time."

"He has his rare moments." His hands went around my waist, and I didn't push him off of me this time.

"We have to talk."

"When we get home," His head dipped down, his lips brushing against my ear. "Or back to the hotel."

"Your house. I miss your bed."

I felt him smile. "I miss you naked in my bed."

"Sex won't keep us from discussing things."

When we got back to River's, the house was empty. His parents had left earlier for their Valentine's tropical vacation.

We sat on the floor in his room with takeout, with the tv on in the background.

"You deserve the truth, but some are not mine to tell you." He put his fork back in his pasta and held it out to me.

I opened my mouth, slide the food off the fork, and chewed the creamy chicken pasta.
"Fine. I understand."

He looked at me before opening his mouth, only to close it again. "Are you upset? I know that I shouldn't have gone, I should have told you. You're my girlfriend. I am sorry. I don't want you to think that had anything to do with romance. She and I are over."

"I know." I leaned back against the end of the bed. "I'm not upset. I understand."

He stopped for a moment and  something in his eyes changed, they softened as the smallest of smiles formed on his plump pink lips.

"What?"

He smiled more, shaking his head. "Nothing."

"Kol told me you're the only one who can help her sometimes."

"Her grandmother keeps her stable. I know she's a bitch, I know that. But she's also been through a lot." He closed his eyes before sighing. "Her grandmother was the only was there for her in her family. She came into Emily's life when she was nine. Emera was her grandfather's first love, but they only got together when his first wife passed. Emera adores Emily and was by her side when her parents weren't."

"Is she okay?"

I didn't like Emily, but I also didn't want the worst for her. I wasn't hoping for terrible things to happen to her. But no deserves to loose loved ones.

"She's out of surgery. Recovering well."

"Emily?"

"Better. Not locked in her room anymore." His hand moved to mine, squeezing it gently while stroking the back of it with his thumb. "How are you?"

"I was worried about you."

"Don't be. I'm sorry about leaving, about running to help her."

"You could have just told me what was going on."

"I suppose that's an option." His silver eyes found mine. "I guess I'm still getting used to having a girlfriend with a heart."

"Funny."

"I'm serious, Babe." He laughed. "I should have told you the truth."

"It's fine. Kol isn't so bad all the time."

"Are you two getting along?"

"Absolutely not. I was babysitting."

"You made his entire year." His fingertips brushed against my cheek as he moved my hair behind my ear. "You've certainly made my entire year."

"You make me happy." I whispered, tearing my eyes from his.

It was as if I was afraid to admit that if I said it all out loud, that It may vanish.

"I have another Valentine's gift for you." His hand dropped to the floor, sliding it under the bed. He pulled his hand back as the sound of a box moving across the floor followed.

He pulled out a small box wrapped with white paper and a pink bow. "I was going to give this to you this morning. And you're not saying anything about it."

I narrowed my eyes on him. "Thank you."

I took the box from him before carefully unwrapping the bow. And tearing open the wrapping paper.

The box inside was a glass jewellery box with faint gold roses were painted on the glass.

There was an envelope inside.

I glanced over at River and he was biting back his smile. "Open It."

I pushed the top open and found a gold envelope with the eiffel tower on it.

My breath slowed, my hands shaking as I opened the envelope.

Inside were four rectangles. Two of them read in big bold letters: First Class to Paris, France. Round Trip.

While the remaining two were baby blue.

DISNEYLAND, Paris.

My mouth fell open as I struggled to find something to say.

Shock, surprise, and overwhelming emotions filled me.

My hand shook as I looked over at him. "What are these?"

"Tickets for you and I to go to Paris. To go to Disney there." His confirming words caused me to lunge into his arms.

He chuckled softly as he pulled me on his lap. "Or you can go with someone else."

"No. God, no. You're the only one I want to go with. This is too much."

"We leave in a couple weeks."