Miracle Maker

Emma had seen one of her mother's people long before she stepped foot on the Captain's first ship, she was just too young to remember it.

The traveler came  from far away, drawn to the rumors of a town at the foot of  a great castle protected by an angel. He greeted Emma's parents at the castle doors, wearing worn sandals and a weathered traveler's cloak with a walking stick, not unlike the castle's protector.

"Greetings Lord and Lady." He  tipped his hat.

"Who are you?" Alucard demanded, wearing the great black cape with his sword at his belt.

"I am merely a traveler. Be not afraid, I only wish to see an old friend. I've heard interesting talk of a castle once ruled by a vampire and now guarded by a Mal'akh."

The Watcher in human form  curled her fingers around her staff, her white cloak shimmering in the sunlight  gleaming through the open door.  "You are like me."

"That I am." The traveler confirmed. "Do you remember me?"

"No, but Azrael informed  me about you, and said you'd eventually come by. She told me you were my friend and to welcome you here."

Alucard turned to his wife questioningly, but she nodded. "Welcome to our village."

"It is an honor to be here, Zaharial." The traveler bowed.

"I go by a different name now, but you may still call me that in private."

"My apologies."

A baby's cry echoed through the main hall.  "Your grace, I'm sorry when she woke up she wouldn't stop crying!" Delia, the Speaker nurse apologized profusely with Aiden beside her. "Aiden and I tried soothing her but she'll not rest."

"I think she wants you Mom,  she woke up and got scared you weren't there." Her son explained.

"No worries. Hand her to me."

Delia handed the wailing baby to her.   She rocked her child, soothing her as she whimpered and gurgled. "It's all right Emma Bee. I'm here." The child settled down realizing she was now in her mother's arms.

"You are safe, Little Dove." Alucard gently stroked his infant daughter's golden hair. "I can take her, my Love. So you might attend to our guest."

"It's all right, Alucard, I have to feed her. Can you get our friend  comfy? "

"I can."

"Thank you.  I trust Azrael and my own gut."

"Mother." Aiden tugged at her cloak. "Can I stay with you?"

"Of course." The Watcher brushed her son's hair.

"Mother.....?" The traveler gazed  wide eyed at the boy and the baby. "These are your children."

"They are." The Watcher nodded proudly. "One of birth and one of adoption.Both of my heart and soul."

"Azrael informed me. That's wonderful." The traveler introduced himself to Aiden, who shyly said hello and  quickly darted behind his mother. The baby rustled in her mother's arms, limbs curled up as she started at the angel with golden eyes.

"She takes after her father." Her mother remarked, maternal instincts strong.

"I can see. Congratulations, what is her name?"

"Emmaline." Alucard answered. "Emmaline Lisa  Țepeș"

"Beautiful name." The angel stepped closer by the mother's permission. "Hello Emmaline."

The four month old chirped at him.

"She likes you!" Aiden gasped, peering out from behind his mother. "She does that when she likes people!"

Emma chirped at the traveler again, never taking her eyes off him. "It's as if she knows..." Her mother murmured. "Ouch! All right little bird, I get the memo." She chuckled, pulling the small one's hands away from her breast. "Alucard do you mind?"

"Not at all."

"Thank you. There should be wine in the icebox, can you pour him some of the 1439 Tuscan? It's the good stuff."

"Of course my dear." Alucard kissed his wife's cheek and his daughter's forehead.  "Daaaad!" Aiden complained when he kissed his son's forehead.

"Watch over your mother and sister, my son. Traveler, come with me. I'll show you the castle and we can talk over a glass of wine."

Aiden sat with his mother while she nursed his  sister in the privacy of the baby's room. "Mother, who is he?"

"He's a friend." She answered, supporting  Emma against her.

"But how do you know if he's a friend if you don't remember him?"

Emma closed the door with her magic, making sure nobody heard her answer. "Because he's  an angel like me."

Aiden gawked like a codfish. "Really!?"

"Yes, but you mustn't tell anyone. There are many like me who are in human form all over the world. They're here to help people and they will always help you if you ask them. Some, like him, walk the world finding people who are worth helping. So whenever you meet one, always be nice to them."

"But how can I tell if they're angels like you?"

"Look in their eyes, that's the main giveaway, and there's an agelessness to their faces even if they look old. Watch him when you see him again. Once you know the differences, you can spot them wherever you are, those who've been around earthly angels a good deal can tell the difference from humans, even if they look the same." She smirked. "You've got a good head start having me as your mother."

" I guess so." Aiden watched his sister. "I think Emma knew what he was."

"Wouldn't shock me." His mother gazed adoringly at her daughter nursing at her breast. "Babies instantly know."

"Do you think she'll be his friend one day?" Aiden asked.

" I hope so." The earthly angel brushed her daughter's golden curls. "I want her to know my people and be able to rely on them throughout her life. To know she's not alone."