¤ [08] ¤《Maud Is Afraid》

₩₩₩₩₩

₩₩₩₩₩

Carl cleared the way to the bird enclosure room, pushing open one of the double doors, pulling benches to block off hallways he turned back for the first time, and Maud, as she promised, was behind him.

It was easier said than done lugging around her own weight a trail of blood left behind her.

The walkers following her staggered forming a line behind her stepping in single file into the smears of red she left behind on the floor.

Spotting a shadow coming closer to her, Maud looked up as Carl brandished his knife, cutting down the walkers and coming after her, tugging her up by her arm and into the bird exhibit.

Maud scrambled after Carl landed on her knees on the floor, backing up to press her back against the door, helping Carl to push the door closed.

With the ounce of safety that she had, Maud yelled each time her body was rocked as the door slammed shut and then opened again.

Carl took his knife and jammed it through the crack in the door, slicing off fingers and stabbing at heads he didn't need all the walkers dead he just needed to be able to secure the door closed.

Maud reached into the bag around Carl's shoulder, taking out her shovel. She slid it through the doors, long handles, bars, allowing Carl to focus on cutting down the walkers, peeking out through the doors cracks.

The door still buckled under the weight of the horde pushing up against it, but they would deal with that later.

Carl put his ear to the closed door on the other end of the room the dead had made their way around the building trapping them in but the door seemed to be holding up well enough to keep them separated from the dead they couldn't go out that way or through the windows either it  wasn't an option with Maud.

Maud was still sitting with her back rocking against the door, her face flushed and feverish.

"Come on" Carl said as he helped Maud into a more comfortable position away from the dead.

Lying down, Maud looked up at the ceiling. The birds seemed free and untethered. In a way, she couldn't have been even before the end of the world.

Lighting flashed against the floor making it hard for Maud to hear what Carl was saying to her. He rushed round the room cutting rags up with his hands and pushing her shoulders down so she lay flat on the ground.

Thunder boomed in the air. Maud felt another cramp this time it went on forever like it would never stop.

Her stomach was moving, twisting, shaking, and nothing Maud did no matter how much she squirmed would stop it.