𝐓𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐛𝐥𝐞𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐫 (𝟏)

"I am not adding NOS to your car. Fuck you think this is? Fast and Furious?" I say with boredom as I slide from underneath the car.

I stare up at my classmate. Typically middle class, suburban boy who wants to chase whatever "excitement" is relevant at the moment.

"Oh come on. Please. There's a race tonight near the docks and I talked big shit. I need this."

People and their damn egos

"Then go to another shop."

"But you're the best"

Because I learned from the best. Spending time with the Mercy Park Crew in high school has taught me a lot. So much so that I landed a job at a mechanic shop not too far from the university.

Being in college, keeps you BROKE broke but every once in a while, a semi rich kid wants upgrades to his car and I make bank.

"I said no"

The customer sucks his teeth and slaps the money in my hand as he grabs his keys. I count my money as he drives away.

Good riddance. I hope his ass loses the race just to humble himself.

I go back to my desk for clean when I hear the door open. I roll my eyes at the thought of another customer.

I really just want my bed before I start this 15 page essay for psych.

"I heard this shop has the best mechanic."

The voice makes me stop dead in my tracks. Like stone but slowly cracks at the park of electricity that starts in my toes.

"I need a quick tune up and I'm not near my tools to do it myself"

Yeah. That's his voice

I hold onto my spark plug necklace and slowly turn around.

Our eyes connect and my lower lip quivers

Shit, don't cry

"Lo.."

My voice barely above a whisper as I stare in disbelief. A smile spreads across his face as he steps towards me with his arms out

"Hey Troublemaker"

I don't hesitate to jump into his arms. Somehow we can't help but try to squeeze the life out of each other.

You know how you'll always have that sweet spot for your first love? Well Logan is my only love. At first I thought it was just excitement from the bad boy my inexperienced, innocent self was craving.

No

We went through hell together. Running from the law, the death of his mentor and the shit from my dad, I fell for him hard. We share a bond that can never be severed.

I haven't seen him in over a year and..

"Wait a damn minute"

I hop off of him and fold my arms in disdain.

"Why are you here? And what do you mean you don't have ya tools? We bougie now?"

Logan eyes me while running his tongue along his teeth. I don't have on anything cute. Shop jumpsuit with a white crop top, timbs and a baseball cap.

"I've been traveling state to state, race to race nothing major"

I pout a little. The dumbass is supposed to say he's here for me.

"Hmm"

"Although.." He steps closer to me, pulling me in by my waist. "I made sure this would be my last stop for a while. I got some unfinished business with a certain shit starter."

"Oh!"

I throw my head back in laughter and push him away from me. I try to hide my blush and smile cause I should not be flattered by his shit talking.

"And your tools?"

"In the truck but I don't have what I need for this specific mod?"

I wipe my hands on the rag and approach his car

"Pop the hood"

I slowly trail my fingers along his Porsche 992 GT3 as I 360 the car. I lean over the hood. I hear a wolf whistle behind me

"You updated the engine?"

"Yes ma'am. Got a race tonight. Some kid bet 10 g's and I'm gonna take his money with ease."

"Racing for money? No more heists?"

"Shhhhhhh." Logan jokingly looks around. "No crew and my partner in crime is doing her thing at Langston."

I take my tools and start working on his engine. Logan leans on the car to watch me

"If you're gonna critique my-"

"I miss you, Trouble. I miss your voice. I miss your smile. Your sense of humor. Your pretty fac-"

"Lo stop"

I look up to see those big brown eyes looking at me with such intensity. I step back and turn around to get my thoughts together. It's so easy to look at him with those rose colored glasses on. My heart will leap for the man every time but sometimes his actions don't match his words and that shit hurts.

"You never called. You never texted.." I try to keep my voice from cracking but I turn around, confidently. I take a deep breath holding my fists to my sides. Looking like that damn Arthur meme.

"You say you miss me but you haven't reached out. Never responded when I tried. How do I know you're not just talking shit. Telling me what I want to hear?"

Logan twists his hands before nodding to himself. He steps to me again but doesn't touch me.

Nervously, he opens his mouth then closes it. Like he's trying to find the right words.

"After we parted ways in LA, I couldn't stop thinking about you. You consume me in a way only you can but with all we've been through, even you forgiving me for initially deceiving you, I don't feel man enough for you. I feel like I've ruined you somehow. You were so sweet and innocent and I brought you into a life of crime and violence. I can never forgive myself for that because you shine so bright, you bring out the best parts of anyone around you. The best parts of me. I don't know what I have to offer you but after spending so much time away from you, I selfishly decided to see if I could get you back. You're my world, Troublemaker"

Tears stain my cheeks but I shake my head

"I-"

It feels like there's a frog in my throat

"I hate you" I say with a chuckle. Logan smiles and it settles the storm brewing within me.

"I don't know. Logan, you didn't ruin me. You brought out a part of me that's been dormant. The part of me that was begging to FEEL something. My life didn't start until I met you but I'm scared. I wouldn't be able to handle you walking away from me again."

Logan holds me in his arms and tilts my head up

"I won't ever"

"How can I be sure?"

"I'll bet on it"

"Huh?" Then fucked my head up and took me out the moment. Bet on it?

"Race me tonight"