𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡 𝐈𝐬

Not edited

"Listen, I just don't think we should be together anymore"

My lip trembles as I hug myself. The dampness of my hoodie feels heavy as I stare the love of my life in his face.

Here we are, standing in the rain at 2 in the morning just for him to tell me we should break up.

His golden hair falls on his shoulders, soaked. His face is scrunched from the environment and those eyes hold such sorrow

But he doesn't get to be sorry. We were having a good night. A great fucking night of cuddles, love making and deep conversation. We cooked and danced to music all throughout his apartment while he told me he dreams of marrying me one day.

Yet I'm living my nightmare

I have a hard time opening up to people or letting them in. I tend to carry my burdens because I hate feeling like an inconvenience to people. I'm always harder on myself than any other person. I've been conditioned to believe I'd be a disappointment.

Then I met Channing

He's the type who is stoic with most people. Stern and assertive. Doesn't beat around the bush but with me, he was flirty

At least at first

I thought he just wanted to fuck

We met in our junior year of college and I didn't know anyone who wanted a serious relationship while in school.

Every time he looked my way, he'd smile. Apparently that was rare. But it wasn't enough. I was not going to set myself up for failure. I wasn't gonna be a notch on his belt.

I made him work for it and he went all out. Figuring out my love languages and then following through. Acts of service, trying to help me any way he can then quality time. Actually getting to know me, caged heart and all.

We didn't officially date until senior year and have been together for the past two years

But HERE I AM, realizing it was all futile because I'm getting broken up with as Channing drops me off

In the rain

"I don't-I"

It's like my brain is refusing to process this

"Baby, I just time need to be alone and-"

"Oh fuck you Donnell Jones"

"I still love y-"

I turn around and enter my apartment building. I don't understand why I stood outside to hear the bullshit to begin with.

My wet footprints walk up the steps of the brownstone in disbelief.

We're really over

❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧

I stare out the window as gloominess falls over the city. I feel arm wrap around my waists with a few pecks to my ear and neck

"I know you hate the rain but I really want you to have a new dress for the gala this weekend."

I turn and wrap my arms around the neck of my fiancé. It's been 5 years since that night with Channing and damn if it wasn't hard to move on.

I pretty much became a hermit and finished out my Masters. It was until I was interviewing for jobs that I met Kieran.

He looks like toxic chocolate. 100% cocoa with a nice fade and beard. Small brown eyes and a smile that will make ya panties disappear but his demeanor is the opposite.