021. ━ supporting friends

season seven // episodes seven and eight[ supporting friends ]

[ supporting friends ]

ELLIE WALKED INTO the resident's lounge and saw Cristina sitting alone. She set down her belongings before sitting down beside her. "Hey."

"Hi."

"How are you?" Ellie asked gently. "I know people have asked you that many times already, but really... how are you?"

"Honestly?" Ellie nodded. "I don't know if I can do this. Any time I step foot in an OR, my heart races, and my palms sweat. What kind of surgeon can I be if I can't even go into an OR?"

Ellie sighed. "I think they've been pushing you too hard," she said with a shrug. "I think that if they really want to help, they'd let you go at your own pace."

"If only."

She looked at the defeated resident and let out a breath. "How about this? After work, we go to Joe's, I'll buy you a drink and you can tell me anything and everything on your mind. I'm a great listener."

"Really?"

Ellie nodded. "We haven't talked much since we've gotten here, but I like you, Cristina. You're determined and you know what you want, even if you're a little mean sometimes. But I would hate to see a resident like you disappear."

"Thank you."

She smiled and rubbed her shoulder before changing into her scrubs and walking to the skills lab the residents were required to attend, arriving at the same time as Meredith. "Am I early?" she asked. "I tried really hard not to be."

"That doesn't bode well," Jackson said as Ellie stood next to him.

"We did the same thing with Bailey when we were interns," Alex told them. "Take turns treating a dummy, get an early lunch, then get back to work. It's lame."

Just then, Owen ran into the lab with an armful of trauma gowns. "Charter plane was forced into an emergency landing and collided with a greyhound. Mass-casualty situation." He looked at the residents. "Do I need to say it again? Let's move." The residents scrambled to grab a gown before running after him. "Close to thirty victims in the field, some critical. Multiple blunt trauma injuries."

The residents stopped at the sight in front of them, looking around at all the dummies. Jackson sighed. "And I was so looking forward to an early lunch."

Ellie smiled. "Ooh, fun."

☀️

"WELCOME TO TRAUMA certification." Owen divided the residents into groups. "You will work in teams of four. Blue team, you have an extra person. Each team will be responsible for nine casualties. You may treat your patients using only what you can carry with your two hands from this ambulance. The evac helicopter is on its way. You get your patients on the helicopter, you get certified. Are you ready?" They all nodded. "Get to work."