029. ━ one of our own

season seven // episode eighteen[ one of our own ]

[ one of our own ]

ELLIE FIDGETED WITH her fingers as she walked into her older brother's OR and put on a mask. She watched him through the window before letting out a breath and walking inside. "Dr. Sloan?" she asked, clearing her throat. "Are—Are you almost done here?"

"I'm good in two seconds, Ellie," he replied and she nodded. "What's up?"

"I'll—I'll wait."

"I rocked this mandibular repair," Mark told her. "You'd never know this guy's jaw was broken in five places. I'm somewhat of an artist. Not Picasso, because then his jaw would be on his forehead. But, like, uh, Chagall, Michelangelo, I'm Michelangelo."

Ellie forced a smile to grace her features. "That's great," she said quietly and Mark looked at his sister.

"What, no snarky comeback about keeping my ego in check?"

She shook her head. "No."

"Hmm." Mark set down his instruments. "There, done. Now, what do you got, Ellie?"

Her bottom lip trembled slightly as she walked over to him. "I'm gonna need you to keep your composure, okay?" she said, starting to lead him out of the OR. "You need to keep your head. Can you do that?"

"Ellie, what happened?"

She paused and looked at him. "S—Something's happened," she replied quietly. "Callie and—and the baby..."

"What?"

She led him down to the ambulance bay. "She—She's coming now..."

Once they had arrived, Mark let go of her hand and ran out ahead of her. She swallowed the growing lump in her throat and followed him. Jackson glanced at her as she passed him and she looked back at him briefly.

"Are you okay?" he whispered.

She shrugged. "I'm fine," she replied in a quiet voice.

"What the hell happened?" Mark asked, looking around at the large group of surgeons gathered outside of the hospital.

"Car versus truck," Owen told him. "That's all we know right now."

"And her injuries? What—The baby?"

Ellie shook her head. "We don't know yet..."

"Well, why the—why the hell don't you know?" Mark asked in frustration. "Someone get me a trauma gown."

Richard sighed and shook his head. "Mark, you need to sit this one out."

"I'm not sitting this one out," he contradicted. "That's Callie. That's my kid!"

Ellie walked over to him. "And that's exactly why you can't be working on her," she said, grabbing his hand but he let go. "Mark..."

"I'm sorry," Richard said to him. "You can't be a doctor on this one."