022. ━ the night shift

season seven // episodes nine and ten[ the night shift ]

[ the night shift ]

ELLIE WAS ON the phone with Andy as she parked her car in the parking lot. "Tell me again why we can't go out tonight?"

"I told you," she said, turning the engine off. "We have the night shift. So while you're sleeping soundly in your bed, I'm working."

"Again?" he asked with what sounded like a pout.

Ellie chuckled. "I'm sorry, it's how residency works. I don't have a choice. But I'll make it up to you in a few weeks."

"Hmm... deal. Have a good day at work."

"Goodnight," she said, walking into the hospital. "Sleep well." Just as she was about to get on the elevator, Derek pulled her aside. "Ow! Stop pulling me!"

"I got it."

Ellie tilted her head. "Got what?" she asked before her eyes widened. "The Phillips Grant? You got it?"

He nodded. "I got it."

A wide smile spread across her face as she pulled him into a tight hug. "Oh, congratulations! This is huge!"

"Thanks," he chuckled, pulling away from the embrace. "Mark is putting together a little celebration at Joe's. I'd invite you, but—"

"But I'm working," she finished with a nod. "Which reminds me, I'm gonna be late. Congratulations again, Derek."

"Thank you."

Ellie made her way to the group of residents and attendings that were gathered in the lobby when Mark frowned at April. "Did you just yawn? Was that a yawn?"

"Don't tell us that you're tired after getting to sleep all day?" Teddy asked.

April shrugged. "It's not as easy as it sounds."

Ellie smiled. "Hello, everyone. How was your day?" The attendings looked at the girl. "Derek told me you're having a celebration, that should be fun."

Callie pointed at her. "That. Why can't you all be like that?"

"She's always been like that," Jackson said, glancing at the bubbly resident. "Ever since our intern year. I still don't get it."

"It's called coffee, my friend," Ellie told him, patting him on the shoulder. "Besides, with Mark at work, I could finally sleep without his constant snoring."

"She's been like this ever since she was born," Mark corrected Jackson. "It's how she got her nickname." He paused and frowned at his sister. "I don't snore."

"Yes, you do," Ellie and Callie said in unison.

Bailey cleared her throat. "Uh, Karev, I need you to follow up on my post-ops. And here. Take this research. Divide out all the fistula cases."