031. ━ consequences

season seven // episodes twenty-one and twenty-two[ consequences ]

[ consequences ]

"I'M ALL FOR you finding independence from your brother, but he lives downstairs," Jackson said as he set down one of Ellie's boxes. "Don't you think you should find somewhere else?"

Ellie, Jackson, and April were standing in the blonde's new, empty apartment. April was looking around at the large space while Jackson groaned at the weight of her boxes.

"No," Ellie said, answering Jackson's question as she opened a box. "Because not only is it a great location, but I can get as many Sofia snuggles as I want. And, according to Mark, that also means that I'm available for babysitting on short notice."

April shrugged. "She's not wrong. I mean look at this place. A five-minute walk from the hospital, great amenities."

"Well, you can marvel at the apartment later," Jackson said to her. "But we're gonna be late."

Ellie glanced at the time on the oven and groaned. "Ah, crap. Let's go. Derek mentioned that he wanted to see me before rounds. I really hope it doesn't involve brains..."

The three friends hurriedly walked across the street to the hospital, much to April's delight ("See? It's so convenient!"), and quickly changed into their scrubs. Ellie bid her friends goodbye and made her way down to the peds wing where she saw Derek in one of the patient rooms.

"Hey," she said, sticking her head inside the door. "You wanted to—who's this?" she asked, her attention immediately shifting to the little girl in Derek's arms. "Well, aren't you just the cutest thing in the entire world? Huh? Oh, yes, you are!"

Derek smiled softly. "You and babies," he said in amusement. "Ellie, this is Zola." She took the small child in her arms and sat down, her heart melting when Zola leaned close for a hug. "Meredith and I are going to adopt her."

Ellie looked up at him. "Seriously?" she asked and he nodded, making her smile widen. "I'm getting another niece? God, this has been the best year ever. Welcome to the family, Miss Zola." Zola laid her head on the blonde's shoulder. "I have to leave. Stop being so cute!"

Derek chuckled lightly and took the girl from the resident. "So, I take it you're in full support?"

"Of course!" Ellie exclaimed, playing peek-a-boo with Zola. "She's perfect for you two. And you're both perfect for her. Well, congratulations, Derek." She kissed his cheek and waved goodbye to the baby. "Bye-bye, Zola."

Derek watched as she left the room and closed the door behind her before looking down at Zola. "That's your Aunt Ellie. I think the two of you are gonna get along just fine."