033. ━ residents fly solo

season eight // episodes three and four[ residents fly solo ]

[ residents fly solo ]

ELLIE STOOD IN front of the OR board with a clipboard in her hand, assigning each resident their OR when she heard her friends' voices behind her.

"OR 3," Cristina said with a smile. "Yes! Mm, I love OR 3."

Ellie nodded, turning around. "I know that," she replied, hugging the clipboard to her chest. "So, you're welcome for that."

April looked up at the board and furrowed her brows. "Wait, bowel resection?" she asked Alex. "I thought you had a peds case."

"I switched last minute."

"And then Robbins gave the case to me," Ellie added making him roll his eyes at her. "I'm just saying. Your loss is my gain."

"Oh, plastics," Cristina said, seeing Jackson's name on the board. "I thought you were the Gunther. Wasting all your capital on boob jobs, huh?"

Ellie tilted her head. "You have something against plastics, Cristina?" she asked. "'Cause you can say it to my face."

She pursed her lips. "Um... No. No comment."

Ellie smiled victoriously. "That's what I thought."

Jackson chuckled. "Besides, it's a cleft lip," he said to Cristina pointedly. "I'm changing a kid's life today. Look at April. She's fixing a bum knee."

"Hey!" Ellie exclaimed with a frown. "Don't you diss on ortho. I'd be doing that, but since Alex switched, Arizona stole me from Callie." She cleared her throat and looked down at her clipboard. "Okay, people, here's the order of business. In addition to your surgeries and specialties, you also get to start teaching skills labs today. Fun, right? So, I made up a schedule for the month. It's on the board in my office."

Her friends stared at her. "In your what?" Meredith asked.

Ellie sighed and waved for them to follow her. She unlocked the door and Cristina furrowed her brow, looking around. "When did we get this?"

"Well, it's for the chief resident, but you guys can use it, too," she replied, sitting at her desk. "But if any of you touch my trail mix, we're gonna have a problem."

"This is good," Alex said with a nod, sitting down on her couch. "I can sleep on this."

"It's where I've been the past week," Ellie told him before frowning. "Did you really not notice that I wasn't at the apartment?"

"Uh..." Ellie looked over at Cristina who was pointing at the whiteboard. "Why is my name on this?"

"Like I said earlier, those are this month's skills labs," she replied, resting her head on her hand. "Each of you has been given one skills lab to teach. It's really not that complicated."