Chapter 7

They dropped me on the ground in an alley. I groaned at the impact, my entire body hurting. After Slugworths men had left me, I leaned against the wall, resting my head. I closed my eyes, trying to even out my breathing.

It's not like I haven't been beaten before. Not too many people likes a thief. But Slugworth wanted to use me as an example. An example of what happens if you try to rip him off.

At this point, my body was feeling numb. Which was a welcomed rest from the constant pain.

I looked down and slowly raised a hand to my face. Then I felt a warm liquid against my fingertips. I pulled back my hand and focused my eyes on it.

Red. Blood. My blood.

I'm not gonna look as pretty tomorrow as I did this morning.

Why am I feeling so sleepy? So tired. It's been a few tiredsome days. My eyelids felt heavier and heavier as the seconds passed.

I shouldn't fall asleep here. It's soon gonna be morning. People might walk through this alley, it is close to the marketplace. I live in the shadows. I can't let anyone see me... They might call the police on me.

What have I gotten myself into?

I'm so tired...

As the world felt colder and colder, my line of vision also turned more and more blurry. Until it all went dark.

My eyes shot open. I immediately tried to get up, but was instantly punished for it. My muscles were aching, reminding me that I'm still alive. I grunted and tried to slowly lift my head. But soon gave up and plopped my head back on the pillow. Pillow? Who's pillow is this? Who's bed is this? I don't own a bed. Or a pillow.

I lifted the covers slowly. These are not my clothes. I'm dressed in a dress, with soft fabric and short sleeves. I would not wear this normally. Where are my clothes? More importantly, where am I?

I looked around the room. Wooden walls, with not that great of a roof. I could see atleast two buckets collecting the dripping water from the leaking roof. But there was also a desk, where a... I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Is it a portable chocolate factory? There was a window beside the bed. I might be able to escape through the window...

Suddenly, the door started opening. I quickly laid my head down on the pillow, pretending to still be asleep. I need to gather more information before I do anything.

I listened carefully. Light footsteps could be heard. The wooden floor creaked as the footsteps came closer. They came closer, before making a stop infront of the bed.

"I know that you're not sleeping." That sounded like... A girl?

Already revealed, I slowly opened my eyes and glanced up at a young girl. With big, dark hair and brown eyes, she was cute. But she had this serious look in her eyes. Like she had been forced to grow up quicker than many other children.

"How did you know?" I asked, noticing how raspy my voice sounded. The girl shrugged.

"Willy said that you like to trick people." She answered.

"Oh. Willy Wonka? Of course he said that." I sighed. Is he the one who brought me here?

"So who are you?" The girl sat down on the bed, by the foot of the bed. "I'm Noodles."

What kind of name is that?

"What happened?" I ask, ignoring her question.

"You don't remember?" She asked shooked.

"Would I ask if I did?" I answered sarcastically. Noodles rolled her eyes at me.

"Willy found you yesterday. He carried you home and we helped him smuggle you in." She explained casually.

"We?"

"Yes, we. We all did what we could. You didn't look so good, no offence. Lottie had a dress that she could lend you. Me and Lottie helped you change." Noodle said, leaning back on the bed.

"What happened to my clothes?" I ask. I love my clothes.

Noodles wrinkled her nose.

"I wanted to throw them away. But Willy wanted to try and wash them in the launderette." She explained, as she jumped up from the bed.

Everything I own is in my pockets. Not that it's a lot, but... It still has value to me.

The door once again opened slowly and a hat first entered the room before Willy Wonka himself did. When his eyes met mine, I saw that he relaxed. Only slightly, but nevertheless.

I took a deep breath. "I bet you're happy." I muttered bitterly.

Willy quickly walked up beside me, beside the bed.

"Why would this ever make me happy?" The tone of his voice stunned me. Wonka has never spoken to me in that tone before. He sounded... Angry, which is a feeling I really wouldn't place on him.

He turned towards Noodle. "Noodles, I would appreciate a moment alone with Y/n." He said to her, this time in a brighter tone. Noodles gave me one last glance before leaving the room, closing the door behind her.

I looked away as tears welled into my eyes, my vision getting blurry. I forced the feeling to stay back. I refuse to cry infront of Wonka. I would rather eat dust than to show him weakness.

Willy noticed, and his eyes softened. He raised an arm, as to try to comfort me, but after reconsidering it, he pulled it back. After a short moment of thinking, Willy hopped down on the bed and sat down across from me.

"Y/n," Wonka said slowly. Locking me in place with his gaze. "What happened to you?"

I bite my tongue. "Nothing you need to worry about, pretty boy." I sneered at him. He didn't seem bothered by my tone at all.

Willy let his gaze travel over me, over my skin. I know that he can see the bruises that has turned my skin into different shades of blue and purple. I know that it's obvious that something has happened. What I don't know is why he cares. I've been nothing but dishonest towards him. So why is he still treating me with kindness? What does he get out of it?

His gaze darkened with each bruise that he saw on me. He clenched his jaw and looked at me with this anger that felt almost out of character for him. The anger wasn't directed towards me, but more likely the one responsible for my bruises.

"Y/n, please. Who did this to you?" He asked.