Chapter 13

I've always considered myself to be greedy. I always want more. When I steal one thing, I want to steal another soon. The more I have, the less it feels like I own.

But I've never seen greed the way I see it in Mr. Slugworth. This man, dressed in a suit, may be the human personification of greed. The way his eyes met mine. His uncanny valley smile towards me. As if he hadn't ordered his men to beat me up just a few days ago.

My heart was throbbing hard against my chest. I tightened my grip on the suitcase that Willy had trusted me with. I need to make sure I leave with it. It's only supposed to be a distraction. Mr. Slugworth can't get his greedy little paws on it.

Fighting against my instinct to run, I smiled towards him and forced my muscles to relax.

"Miss Y/n, if it isn't my favorite thief." He started saying with a wide grin, flashing his white teeth, as he stood up from the maroon coloured couch.

"Mr. Slugworth." I answer with a cool voice, like I would have a few days ago. The thing about selling something, is to make the other person believe that you are in no stress to get it sold. I have to make them believe that I'm doing them a favour, so that they'll feel inclined to buy whatever I'm selling.

"I must apologise for the way my employees have treated you. A simple misunderstanding on our part, that you could have prevented with some clear communication." Slugworth said, still smiling as if we were old friends reconnecting.

I laughed, even though I rather would have hit him in the face with the portable chocolate factory.

"Well, yes, that was quite rude but it's in the past." I assure him. I'm lying. "I have something I believe might be interesting to you." I say as I lift up the suitcase.

Slugworths eyes went wide open, as his grin grew a little wider. I know what he saw. He saw the perfect chance to destroy his only true competition once and for all. It would take Willy years to replace everything in this. Some of the ingredients can't even be replaced. According to what Willy had told me, when I told him my plan.

Slugworth suddenly clapped his hands together. "Outstanding!" He exclaimed, taking a step closer.

I took one back. "Aha, I want money first. And I mean actual money, not your dumb chocolate."

I know how greed work. Afterall, I am like Slugworth in many ways. Or, atleast I used to. It's been a few days since I actually stole something.

Okay. Scratch that. I stole an apple from the market the other day. But that barely counts.

As I'm discussing the prize with Mr. Slugworth, I try to discreetly look around his little office. If I was a evil greedy chocolatier, where would I hide all the evidence of my illegal deeds?

Suddenly, as Mr. Slugworth was trying to negotiate to make me lower my obscene price, I saw something. Something in the wall. A piece of it looked out of place. The tiles didn't perfectly allign, there was a tiny inconsistency. That looks like it could be removed.

I looked away. Slugworth can't catch me staring too long. But I'm sure of it. He must have hidden the accounts book in the walls.

Suddenly, I heard steps closing in from outside of the office. I turned around, but couldn't see anyone except for us in the office. But I'm sure I heard the steps, they must be closing in on the office.

"Who's coming?" I ask sharply, staring at Slugworth.

"It's only Fickelgruber. Completely harmless, my dear." He said. He's lying. I know it. I've heard Fickelgrubers footsteps before. That's not him. These footsteps are heavier, quicker. I shoot up from the couch. This doesn't feel good. The hard knot in my stomach couldn't be wrong.