Chapter 17

I laid there, underneath the covers that smelled like him. Listening to his steady breathing. Willys slow exhale which indicated that he had already fallen asleep. Something about the way he was breathing was so comforting to me. He felt so... Secure. It's dumb. But hearing him breathe was soothing. I fell asleep, still thinking about him.

I was gone before the daylight. Sleeping a few hours in an actual bed had refilled my energy.

The next couple of days, I did what I do best. Stole some fruits from one of the stalls in the market. Stole a wallet, but to my disappointment saw that it was almost empty, so I returned it to its original owner. Claiming to have found it dropped on the ground.

My face was on multiple wanted posters all over town. The chief of police had noticed my abscence from my cellar, and put up multiple posters all over town with my face on. I looked angry, at the pictures. Staring straight foward with a cold gaze. Not really who I am anymore. I think.

But the police could neither catch Willy or me. I saw him sometimes, on the streets, selling his chocolate. I don't know how he does it. He really is magnetic. But while he was in the light, I remained in the dark, hiding in the shadows.

The police would lose interest in me eventually. I just need to stay out of sight until they do.

Then, one day at the market, I heard a rumour from some ladies gossiping. I was walking a few steps behind them, as I had previously planned to stick a hand into one of their purses. But their gossip was much more valuable to me than their coins.

"... Yes, the young chocolatier." The first lady said.

"Isn't he dreamy?" The other lady swooned, as the first friend chuckled. I rolled my eyes, as I upped my pace to stay close.

"I might visit his shop tomorrow. Afterall, his chocolate is as dreamy as he is." The first lady said with a mischievous smile, as she leaned closer to her friend.

I narrowed my eyes. Can these ladies stop drooling over him?

But what they said did put a smile on my face. Willy could finally afford his shop? That would mean that he would legally be in the clear to sell his chocolate. Slugworth won't like it, of course, but there's nothing he can really do about it. Afterall, Slugworth has always been working behind the scenes. He will have a much harder time getting rid of Willy when Willy has a shop.

I stopped following the ladies and turned into an alley. Tomorrow, uh? I might pay him a visit. Just to congratulate him. That's not weird, right? We're... Friends? No, we're not friends.

All I knew was that the thought of seeing him again made my heart jump. Tomorrow.