Chapter 14

I've never been to jail before. And if it weren't for Willy Wonka, I wouldn't be sitting in a smelly prison cell.

I've been sleeping underneath bridges before. But somehow it felt even colder here. There were cobwebs in the ceiling and a dirty madrass on the floor which I was sitting on. The silver light of the moon shined through the window. The bars on the window was thick, and robust. I've already considered trying to break the bars and escape, but I quickly gave up on that idea.

The completely useless suitcase was on the floor infront of me. I don't know why the chief of police decided to leave it here. I bet that Slugworth told him too. He saw how my heart broke and I bet he loved seing that. I stared at the content in the suitcase. The few empty glasses, a blanket and a yellow teapot.

Slugworth knew that I was working with Willy. Then Slugworth had assumed that Willy would never trust me enough to give me his chocolate factory. He was right, but it still hurt.

I don't understand when Willy would have switched suitcases. Replaying the last day in my head... I first told Willy my plan. Willy made his chocolate factory revert back to a suitcase. Willy told me he was worried about me. I believed him. Now I see that his worry was a lie, of course. And then I walked out the door, still holding the suitcase.

The moment keeps replaying in my head. When the suitcase fell on the floor, only to reveal no chocolate factory. When did Willy switch the suitcase? I saw him give me the chocolate factory. I even saw him take out his mothers picture. Why would he do that if he knew he wouldn't send me the real suitcase? How did he do it underneath my eyes? Did Willy distract me with his pretty words and pretty face so he could make the switch?

Frustrated, I leaned my head against the stone wall. I've been such a fool. A complete idiot. Why did I think that I could trust Willy Wonka?

To be fair. What have I done to earn his trust? I've stolen from him. Lied to him in every other breath and also never really trusted him... Until now.

Why does it feel like my heart is burning? Why do I even care? I'm used to people not trusting me. I'm a thief, afterall. And Willy...

I closed my eyes. Stupid. I'm so stupid. Did I... Have some feelings for Willy? Is that why it feels like my heart is breaking? Probably why I was so easily distracted by a pretty face too. I'm so stupid.

A sound made me immediately open my eyes. I shot up from the floor and looked at the window with its bars. I heard a gentle thud, of something hitting the outer wall. Then I heard someone.

Willy Wonkas face suddenly appeared behind the bars. He looked into my cell and a huge smile appeared on his lips when he saw me.

"Y/n, are you okay?" He asked, as he started digging through his pockets.

I felt my heart beat underneath my chest. Why is he here? I remained silent, biting my tongue as I simply observed Willy.

Some strands of his brown curly hair fell infront of his eyes, he removed the strands as he showed me a... Red candy tube? I looked at him confused, and he smiled towards me.

"I've been working on some candy to sell alongside my chocolate! This sour strawberry is supposed to melt on your tongue... But instead it melts everything it comes in contact with. So..." Willy explained eagerly, as I crossed my arms over my chest.

Willy squeezed out some of the gooey candy on the bars. To my surprise, he was right. The bars melted like butter, leaving the window open. Open for my escape.

"There! Come on, take my hand and I'll pull you up." Willy said as he reached down his hand towards me. I stared at it like it was a bug.

I took a deep breath. I can yell at him once I'm out of here. I grabbed the suitcase underneath my arm and against my will, I took his hand with my other. His warm hand warmed up my freezing one, as he pulled me to the window, helping me out.

Willy Wonka had used his ladder to reach the window. We were standing on the same spot, and since the laddder wasn't that wide, I had to cling onto Willy to not fall down.

"Ladies first." He insisted. I looked down the ladder. Then Willy gently grabbed my chin with one hand, as he guided me to look at him. "What's wrong?" He asked.

I swallowed. "Everything is fine!" I snapped back as I let go of Willy to climb down to the ground.

On the ground, and on safe ground, I took the teapot out of the suitcase and threw it at Willy.

He jumped out of the way, looking at me with big eyes.

"What was that for?" He asked, as he looked ready to jump out of the way again if I wanted to throw something else on him. I instead pointed at the suitcase, which was lying opened at the ground.

"You lied to me! You sent me to Slugworth with junk! Why didn't you trust me?" I yelled. Willy looked at the suitcase and his eyes softened. I want to know why. Why doesn't he trust me? I already know the answer to that.

"Y/n, I-" Willy began as he walked closer, but I raised a hand, which both made him stop in his steps and also stop talking.

"I don't even know why I asked. I already know. Because I am just a thief to you and you can't trust thieves." I answered my own question bitterly.

Willy had such a pained look on his face. He took a deep breath and continued.

"You are so much more to me than just a thief." He said simply. "And I do trust you, Y/n. Even when I probably shouldn't."

I shook my head. "You're lying. I get it! I've been lying to you ever since the first day I met you. I understand that you don't trust me." I snapped at him. Because even though I underneath all these hurt feelings understand his decision, it didn't make it hurt any less.

Willy walked closer to me. "I trust you even after all the lies because I can see through your lies. You're Y/n. You're smart, you're funny and you have so much compassion that you're hiding underneath this tough exterior!"

Slowly, he lifted a hand towards me, leaving it in the air so I could take it if I wanted to.

"Let me show you how much I trust you, Y/n."