Chapter 3

A leopard was running through the jungle. He was being pursued by other leopards. He was called Nakusa, the unwanted one. But his real name was Wildheart. And his mother was the King's sister. Wildheart was born in a litter of five normal coloured leopards. But he was the odd one out. He was a black leopard, and black leopards were dangerous. His family always hated him. But kept him anyway. And when Wildheart had turned savage one day. And killed his cousin. The King and Queen's army were hunting for him. He was on the run.

Wildheart jumped down to the banks of a winding river. The Broken River was what they called it. Wildheart pressed himself against the slope. The leopard guards skidded to a stop near the edge. Then jumped down to the bank. Wildheart had nowhere to run.

"Your trapped now Nakusa! And you will answer to your crimes," one leopard growled.

"No, it was an accident! I didn't mean to. I can't control this curse." said Wildheart.

"You killed the only heir to this kingdom." the second leopard roared. "You will not get out of this, Nakusa! We will kill you right now."

"My name is Wildheart! The name my true friend gave me." Wildheart flicked his tail and the water from the river rose up and crashed onto the soldiers. Then Wildheart jumped clean over the water and ran into the jungle.

He was very close to the tiger's part of the jungle. Maybe they would keep him safe? Wildheart shook his head. Queen Rainfall would not hide an outlaw in her palace. But going to a leopard village was dangerous. He would be found and killed by the soldiers. Wildheart looked helpless now. As he found a tree and climbed up to a high branch. He would have to keep running until he found a place to hide.

~.~

Sparkpaw was out training with his mentor. When they found a leopard resting in a tree near the border. The leopard was black.

"You leopard, why are you on our border?" Arkclaw called up.

The leopard looked down. "I am an outcast. I must find a place to hide. Here it is safe."

"Well maybe you can come and live in our territory." Arkclaw said.

The leopard jumped down from the tree "Really? Okay, sure!" he siad.

"My name is Arkclaw by the way, and this is Sparkpaw." the older tiger said. "Now, let's go."

The leopard walked behind them. Trying as best to keep up with the tigers. "My name is Widlehart." he told them.

"Interesting name," Sparkpaw said.

"Mhm," Wildheart agreed. Purring happily as they walked to the palace.