Chapter 4

Lightning and his brother went to their father's meeting room. He was talking with the cheetahs of his high council.

"We should ask the other kingdoms for help in the next meeting. Our villages are being attacked by something." King Redtail said.

"Dad?" Lightning approached them.

"Cubs, you're not allowed here," King Redtail said.

"But dad, aren't the other kingdoms dangerous? What if you get killed?" Stormcloud said.

Redtail sighed, "My sons, I am the king of this kingdom, General Lapis and his army are sworn protectors. You know that right? Cheetahs are hard to kill." Redtail assured them. "Now cubs, leave me to talk with my council."

"Boys!" Queen Goldenheart called. "Come now."

The two male cubs ran over to their mother and followed her down the hall. Goldenheart was a strong queen. She was King Redtail's cousin. Because they needed to keep their bloodline pure. Goldenheart was adopted into the family though. So not by blood. And only the royal family knew that. Lightning's great uncle and aunt never could have an heir. So they adopted one. And she was betrothed to Redtail since the day they met. Now they were king and queen and had four heirs.

Lightning and Stormcloud may have to fight for the throne though. The cheetahs were patriarchal. So only the males could be king. And if Lightning took the throne, he would marry one of his sisters. Or a cheetah born of noble blood. He felt sick at the thought of marrying Embertail or Lyra. But there was a cheetah he liked. The second in command of the army's daughter.