2: The In Between

Jake and I have been walking for what seems to be hours. He keeps saying that we aren't close, but not far either. The in between. The in between state of a journey, always the longest. You seem to never move, just stand still, the world around you continues its journey. Time just stands still.

"We're here." Jake says.

"Why are we behind Sam and Emily's?" I ask.

"For this." He whispers and grabs a rock. He picks it up and chucks it at the house. I smile and do the same.

"What the fuck is that!?!" Sam's voice booms.

"Follow me." I whisper to Jake and start climbing a tree. He looks at me and shakes his head. "Come on, it's the only out." I whisper again. He starts climbing and the door slams.

"Come on out!" Sam's voice booms again. Jake and I snicker quietly from the top if a pine tree. He looks up the tree and turn around. "Jared!" Sam growls. Jake and I start down the tree.

"We just got him killed didn't we?" I ask.

"Probably, oh well." Jake replies.

"Come on." I motion him to follow.
***************************************************************************************************************
Childhood isn't from birth to a certain age. It's from birth until a person finally decides to give up on childish things.
***************************************************************************************************************
The woods is a peaceful place, draws me back to sanity- like an anchor. My wild side is designed to enjoy the calming landscape of the forest. The serenity in the animals. The beauty of the beast. We still have no idea of what I am. Only that I'm something tied to the ways of nature. So many possibilities, so many wild supernatural breeds. Yet so little tame. A world of the unknown. A fear of those who are, and of those who can never be. I feel so far from the ties of the supernatural, but never have I felt safer in the other than when I am connected.

"Some people think that the biggest animals are the deadliest, yet even a simple touch from the smallest of flees can be fatal." I say guiding Jacob through the wood. "You have to make a bear or cougar angry before it becomes lethal."

"You learned all this from 6.5 years in the woods?" Jake asks rubbing his fingers against bark from a willow tree.

"Six and three quarters if you want to be technical. And yes, I did. Some was just from the simple bond between human and animal, others from sheer knowledge, some from experience." I reply leaning against the tree and sighing.

"Well, with what you know it could bring us one step closer to finding out what you are." He pauses. "Maybe even help finding the secrets of nature."

"Where the hell did that come?" I giggle.

"I have no freaking idea!" He chuckles.

"Come on, let's go home." I take his hand and lead him through the woods back to the house.
***************************************************************************************************************
I slowly open the front door to the house and try to make it to mine and Jake's room undetected.

"Jacob." Billy says. "We need to talk." Billy looks at me and smiles, I smile back and then look at Jake. He nods his head toward the room and a let go of his hands, then continue back to the room. I press my ear against the door.