6: Questionings

"Ms. Rivers. Ms. Rivers!"

"Sorry." I say. "I, uh, I, um, I don't know."

"When did the abuse start?"

"A year after the funeral."

"Abuse doesn't have to be physical."

"Then the night she died."

"What was the first physical abusement?" My heart stops and suddenly everything gets cold.

"T-t-th-th-the f-f-fr-fr-fre-freez-zer."

"Ms. Rivers do you need to take a break?"

"T-the f-fr-fre-free-freez-zer."

"Ms. Rivers?"

"T-t-t-t-th-th-th-th-the f-f-f-f-f-f-fr-fr-fr-fr-fre-fre-fre-freez-zer."

"Elizabeth!?!" My body goes limp as I fall to the floor.

"NO!" I screech. "NO! NO! LET ME OUT! NO!"

"I NEED A MEDIC!"

"LET ME OUT! LET ME OUT! NO!"

"WHERE THE HELL IS MY MEDIC!?!"

"LET ME OUT!"
***************************************************************************************************************
I'm awakened by the sound of beeping. My eyes flutter open, then close tightly. A bright white light beaming down. I slowly flutter my eyes again before actually waking up.

"Hey." Gabe says sympathetically. "How are you feeling?"

"What happened?"

"During your questioning, you uh had a severe panic attack."

"Are we allowed to leave here yet?"

"You're hooked up to at least 10 machines, you tell me."

"Does Jacob know?"

"Yeah, he's uh, sleeping in the corner." I look over at my boyfriend sleeping in a hospital chair like a small child in their carseat. I snicker quietly.

"I don't know if I want to wake him up, or take pictures."

"How about both?" My brother hands me my phone. I turn it onto the camera and snap a couple pictures then Gabe wakes him up.

"What?" Jake growls.

"She's awake."

"El." His voice softens.

"Jake." I mock him. He slightly scowls.

"I see that your panic attack didn't damage the ability to use sarcasm."
***************************************************************************************************************
"Oh my God, Jacob! I can walk on my own!" I growl. His hands go up in surrender. I walk in the front door of the house and make my way to my perfect corner in the couch. I get over there and my face drops.

"They practically made you a hole to sit in." Billy's voice says from behind.

"My couch space." I whine puffing my bottom lip out.

"Check out the little hole, you might like it." I walk over and look down. There was a dog bed and a bunch of stuffed animals. If I didn't know better, they were calling me a pet. Or its a joke from how I sleep on the couch next to Jake.

"Awwee. Hey look, she found her new hideout." Jared coos. I turn on my heels and roll my eyes. "Go on, try it out."

"I will." I cross my arms. "After you buy me a new blanket. Fleece, not wool." Jared rolls his eyes.