9: Nearing Summer's End

"What if I don't want to go to school?" I ask crossing my arms and cocking my head to the side.

"You have to, it's illegal not to." Bella replies. I huff a sigh.

"What if I can't do any of the work because I lived in the woods, since 3rd grade?" Cocky attitude start to surface.

"Then they'll give you easier work."

"What if I can't even do that?"

"You're going to school and that's final." Emmett says. I stand up from my spot on the couch and cock out my hip with my arms crossed in front of my chest. He glares at me only to receive a bitchy one from me.

"I'm a flight risk, even on the second floor. Any open windows, the first chance I get, I'm running." I smirk walking out bumping harshly into Emmett's shoulder letting him know not to piss me off.
***************************************************************************************************************
Carlisle nods at me and I extend my arm. He readies a syringe then I jerk my arm back.

"I can control it, even if it is a full moon. I promise." I state.

"I guess we can try, but if you lose control-" He starts. "I know, back to the vervien." I finish.

"Yes, that goes for tonight and every other full moon for the next year."

"Why a year?"

"So we know that you have control over it for sure."

"Like an experiment?"

"Yes."

"So if I maintain control for one year straight, we're done with the vervien?"

"Correct."

"I can do it. No problem."
***************************************************************************************************************
I stare out the window at the moon watching rain drops as they fall from the sky. My legs against my chest, my hands intertwined with one another around my legs, my head rested sideways on my knees. I have total control. Nothing can change that. The rain starts to fall harder as the clouds begin to shelter the moon, thunder rolls as the lightning cracks. I turn my head and bury it in my knees. I rock back and forth slowly, calming myself. Jake's arm snakes its way across my back and around my waist. He pulls me over to his shoulder and turns on the TV. I release my grip on my legs and let them slide off the couch. I scooch away a little and rest my head on his lap.

"Are you okay?" Jacob asks with a genuine sympathy.

"Yeah, I'm tired. That's all." I whisper taking his hand in mine. His body heat is comforting. The sound of his breathing, soothing. His gentle touch, calming.

"Wanna go to bed?" He says snapping me out if my thought.

"Carry me?" I ask snaking my arms around his neck. He carries me to the room princess style and gently lays me on the bed. I peel of my jacket and curl up to my pillows. Jake takes of his shirt and climbs in bed next to me. I turn to face him and tiredly smile. I turn back to my other side and Jake rests his arm over my torso. He kisses my cheek and whispers a soft 'goodnight' before I drift away.
***************************************************************************************************************
JACOB

I don't know how to feel about this. El's getting better at control, but she's not as energetic anymore. Now she's always in the corner sleeping, or in the bedroom sleeping. I've gotta find a way to get her back. I don't know if I should feel happy, or be worried. She going back to the way we found her in the woods, always tired, barely talks, only thing that's different is she has control. El needs her untamed power when the Volturi show up, which isn't long.