Chapter 12

IVORY

I didn't think my morning would go this way. I expected morning kisses and breakfast in bed. Only to be sitting in a fancy boutique with a man by my side who claimed to be Zayns assistant. He stood stiffly with his hands behind his back, leaning on the wall by the door as if he were a bodyguard. I wouldn't be surprised if he was.

My thoughts only drifted forward to yesterday's incidents, the note on the counter.. Oh, right. I remember being left dumbfounded when I read the note that Zayn left me.

Dear Ivory.

I won't be in town for the next few days, I will explain everything to you once I get back. However, I'd like you to do me a favor. Take the 500 dollars to buy yourself something. In the meantime, I will send my assistant to pick you up. Dont worry about work. Stay out of trouble and stick to Roy (my assistant) at all costs. He'll play as your bodyguard, and if anything slips out of control. You know who to call.

With lots of love

Your one and only, Zayn.

The note got me feeling a little skeptical... but I didn't think about it much. Although I've always felt as if I've seen Zayn before... he looked familiar and sounded familiar..

A male voice broke me out of my thoughts. I looked up to see a man approach me with a measuring tape. He looked around his mid 40's with slicked back brown hair and a beard. I stood up out of instinct. "Why, hello there. You must be Ivory Lisette, no?" He beamed. "Yes," I squeaked as embarrassment li up inside me. "I mean, yes." I cleared my throat. "Call me Mr. Earl, dear. Follow me." He gestured before walking off.

Sheepishly following  Mr. Earl through the boutique and noticing how pretty the women were. They wore silk and satin, bright and dark, hair styled and makeup done. They look like actual models. Real models. I look like I didn't belong here. I belong in some flowershop, not a fancy boutique. How did I score a man so rich, handsome, and intimidating while I'm just a normal French girl selling flowers for a dollar?!

Roy stalked quietly a few steps behind us. I took off my sweater and let Mr. Earl take my measurements. "Oh Ivory, you're a beauty," he praised, writing down everything. "Just like all these other women?.." I murmured under my breath, hoping he didn't hear me. "Yes, Ivory. Just like all those other women." He gently tilted my chin towards the mirror. My frown became more subtle as he traced my features with his feather light fingertips.

"You're gorgeous. You just don't see it." He reassured before he got a call from his assistant. "I'll call you when your dress is ready." He pat my back before leaving. I was left with Roy. "Let's go." He nodded as we scurried away to his car.

Roy drove me home and told me to pack my bags—an order from Zayn, of courses. I didn't know what I was supposed to pack.

I packed whatever my instinct told me to and said goodbye to my apartment. It was a 8 hour ride, said Roy. Luckily I got my pillows, fluffy blankets, and plushies. I honestly didn't care of I was 22 with stuffed toys. I value stuff from my childhood cause they're important. Duh.

I turned Roy's backseat into a whole bed, he didn't say anything, all he gave me was a subtle frown and a shake of his head.

Doing all of that word just for me to fall asleep 5 minutes after was hell. I took my laptop, books, and my favorite blanket just for me to fall asleep not even half into the 8 hour ride was terror.

To be clear, I put away my laptop and books before I went to sleep, don't want them to get damaged. My phone remained turned off, although I had a gut feeling something or— someone, was texting me.

"You won't escape me so easily, Ivory."

I woke up a few hours later, my blanket draped around my torso and drool faint on my pillow. Damn, i guess car rides really do hit different. I slowly sat up, running a hand over my face.

Noticing the car came to a stop, I gazed outside the window, the beautiful sunset flashing a soft mix of purple and pink over the horizon. Roy was outside, leaning against car while smoking a cig. I turned my phone back on and took a quick picture, I didn't have any internet connection since we're.. God knows where.

I turned my phone back off and went to sleep, not before saying goodnight to Roy, who responded with a curt nod. I snuggled back in my sheets and slowly closed my eyes...

"Goodnight, Ivory."