Chapter 14

ZAYN

I never expected there to be a time where I sat at my desk in Vermont to "do my work" only to get distracted by Ivory, who sat on my lap and played games on her phone. It was nearly sunrise, she was supposed to be asleep but as soon as I got up from the bed... she tried dragging me back in.

I look up at my laptop before looking down at Ivory. Lately, she's been infatuated with this Boba shop game. She yaps to me about it, and her eyes light up every time she talks about things she loves... I wonder if her eyes light up when she talks about me.

Turning back to my boring work, I try to put letters together in my head to form words and put them into sentences. Taking over my fathers company was hard. He didn't want to let go, but he had to. That old man would've broken his back already if it wasn't for him retiring against his own will.

I found out that my stepmom was using my father for money (and sex but shh) to feed her poor family (and to treat herself, of course) That's why they had a whole argument about it. I came back home to my father, shouting at my stepmom while she looked like she was on the brink of tears. Julia and I have heard many of their arguments, but this one was... certainly intense.

From what I've heard, my father would go to a strip club or bars whenever he wanted to get laid, and he openly admitted to cheating. Our father was a selfish man. Sharing his money was a nightmare to him. I didn't even notice I was so deep in thought until Ivorys voice broke me out. My eyes locked onto her concerned gaze.

"Zayn, are you okay?"

Ivory asked. Her hand cupped my cheek as she checked for any sign of illness. I nod, not wanting to worry her further. "I'm okay, you shouldn't worry about me." I add, skimming my lips over the top of her head."Have you eaten?" I wondered, eager to change the topic. I didn't want her to get emotional over me. She had more interesting things to get sad over, like her grandma falling down the stairs or whatever happened in her life.

Ivory looks down at her grumbling stomach before gazing back up at me. She arches an eyebrow, giving me a doubting and mean look. I chuckle and pick her off my lap. "Alright, where do you wanna go?" I asked, standing up and adjusting my suit jacket. "Let's go to The Weekly Brew!" She shrieks so loud I swear everyone in the building could've heard her.

I chuckle and nod, taking her hand in mine as she slips her coat on. I make sure to shut my laptop and lock my office before we get on our way to The Weekly Brew. It was a 15-minute walk from where my office was. It was also a nice café, so it's a win-win. I pull my coat over my shoulders, stalking my way over to my assistant, "Take care of the SSR." I ordered, and I swear I could see her flinch.

I follow Ivory outside, an extra skip in her every step. She's hopping around like a happy little bunny, a wide grin on her face as she skips around the block. I can't help myself but mess with her. We were the only ones walking around.

I pounce towards her and wrap my arms around her waist from behind, twirling her around as she squeals and kicks her legs. "Zayn, let me down!" She whines, and I pull her back on her feet, "Calm down, love." I chuckle, wrapping my arm around her shoulder as we walk.

My mind reverts back to the way she was skipping down the block, and it triggers a small memory within me...

...