Chapter 11

My eyes blinked open. 

I yawned and stayed there for a moment, just staring at the ceiling for a while. My eyelids felt heavy. I had barely slept. I closed my eyes for a minute, picturing the way Piper observed herself every time she saw a mirror. I listened to the rhythm of the song Mason constantly played on repeat. I tasted the sweet cereal my father ate every morning. I smelled the aroma of my mother cooking dinner. I felt snug in my warm duvet that I was wrapped up in. For a second, I felt cozy in the comfort of my own home. For a second, I felt happy.

Then my mind snapped back to reality, and I became aware of my surroundings. I was back in the shelter, surrounded by sleepy children lying on their mattresses. Piper wasn't there to make me laugh with her self-obsession. Mason wasn't available to blast his music. Dad couldn't make breakfast and Mom was in no mood to be cooking. Instead of being secured in my fluffy duvet, I was welcomed by a thin, timeworn sheet.

I rubbed my eyes and sat up. When I looked around the room, I expected to see Isaac. Instead, I caught a glimpse at an empty mattress. I scanned the rest of the room, yet there was still no sign of him. My heart began to race. Where was he? Did he leave?  I came to the sudden realization that having Isaac's support was something I absolutely needed at a time like this. I tossed my blanket out of the way, and a small paper floated up in the air, then landed on my foot.

Gently, I flipped it over.

At the hospital visiting Harper. Meet me there. -Isaac

--

When I got to the hospital, I pushed through the crowd of people and sprinted up the stairs leading up to the second floor, in hopes that Isaac was still there. I had developed a fear of losing sight of him - of never seeing him again. I didn't want to be alone. I found comfort in being with him.

And then, I found him. He was sitting on the hospital bed next to Harper, mouthing words I couldn't hear. She sat there, all bandaged up, giggling at whatever it was he was saying. Harper saw me, then whispered something to him. He looked over his shoulder and smiled at me. I smiled back. He waved his hand in the air, gesturing for me to join them.

"Didn't think you'd actually meet me here," he laughed, scooting over and leaving a spot for me to sit.

"Well, I did. You scared me at first. I didn't know where you were." I said, taking a seat.

"How sweet. I'm flattered," he smiled. "But in my defense, I did leave a note."

"Yeah, but you could have left it somewhere a little more obvious, don't ya think? I got lucky having stumbled upon it." 

"Oh, is that so? Like where?" he asked, still smiling and nudging my shoulder.

"Like, I don't know. Somewhere."

"Somewhere, eh? Very, very specific. I'm guessing over the rainbow would've been fine?" he chuckled.

I rolled my eyes. "Haha, I'm cracking up."

"Well," he said. "Harper was treated."

"How did it go?" I asked.

"It was nerve-wracking," Harper cut in, showing me her bandages.

"The nurse told me she should be able to leave in a few days or so. Whenever she's fully healed," Isaac said. 

"That's great," I said, offering the two a smile.

I was happy for Isaac, I really was. But if he could take Harper to safety as soon as possible, he would do so. And that meant going home. I knew I was being selfish, but it was the only thing running through my mind. If Isaac left, I would be all alone, with no one. I'd have to go through this journey all by myself. The thought of it made me uneasy.

"Isaac, I'm parched." Harper placed her hand on her throat, frowning. "Get me some water."

"Only if you say it in a nicer tone," he said.

"Fine," she sighed, "please?"

"That's better," he smiled at her as he got up, then glanced at me. "I'll be right back."

With that, he turned around and disappeared into a crowd of people. Harper shifted toward me and waited until Isaac was completely out of sight.

"So, who do you like?" she asked. Her question caught me off guard.

"Huh?"

"You heard me, who do you like?"

"No one."

"If I tell you who Isaac likes, will you tell me?" she asked, a mischievous grin stretched across her lips. It seemed like Harper was exactly like Isaac. She was the kind of person to crack a joke in the worst of situations, just to brighten up the mood.

"Yeah, sure. I guess," I said.

"Okay, but you have to promise not to tell anyone." 

"I promise."

"Okay," she whispered, sitting up and cupping her hands around my ear. "I think - just think - he likes you."

"Harper... I really don't think that--"

"Don't tell him I said that, though. He'll go bonkers," she giggled as she leaned back down on her bed. "He talks about you a lot." She elaborated. "Then again he talks a lot in general. Anyway, now you have to tell me who you like."

"I don't know. I--"

"Please? Hurry up and tell me, Isaac's coming!" she whispered.

"This guy back in Canada. You don't know him."

"I know you're lying," she said.

I felt a tap on my arm and looked over my shoulder only to see Isaac, but behind him was a tall girl with wheat-coloured hair along with light eyes. Her pale skin was hidden behind purple bruises and painful looking gashes which were spread everywhere. She stood with two crutches, one of her legs being supported by a cast. She also wore a crooked smile - one of which I could never forget.

Piper.

A/N: I'm sooooooo sorry for not updating! I was having a horrible writers block, and I was quite busy. Anyway, I really hope you guys are enjoying the story. As you may have already noticed, I changed the cover for the book. (hope you like it:)) If you guys have any feedback on the story please tell me, it means a lot and it really helps!!:) Once again, thanks for reading:)

QOTD: What's your dream job?