Chapter 27

Later that day, I found myself sitting underneath a bed of stars. The moon was a soft creamy yellow, it's light shining over the two of us. Isaac had his hand wrapped around mine, my head rested on his shoulder. 

I couldn't stop thinking about what had happened earlier - couldn't get the image of my mother breaking down out of my head. She had hope that Mason was okay. Now that hope was gone. I was an only child.

When I had told her the news, she just shook her head. "Are you sure?" she'd asked me. "Are you sure it was him?" 

She didn't want to believe me. Neither did I.

"Pretty crazy what happened today, huh?" Isaac said.

"Yeah," I breathed.

There was a long pause. I let out a deep breath, my heart sinking when a sudden reminder interrupted my thoughts. 

"I... I don't want to leave." I said quietly.

"You don't?" Isaac glanced at me and raised a brow, looking at me like I was crazy. "Don't you want to go home?"

"Well... I do. But I don't. I don't know," I sighed. "It doesn't make any sense."

"Why not?"

"Never mind."

"Just tell me, Ava."

I sat up, bringing my knees to my chest. "I... I'll never see you again."

He looked up at the sky for a minute, taking a deep breath. His gaze met mine. "Yeah you will."

"I doubt it."

"Come on, Ava. Don't be negative."

"You know it's true."

He let out a sigh. "Well, you still have my contact information, right?"

I nodded. "But it won't be the same."

"There's nothing else we can do, is there?" he said, pulling me closer and placing a kiss against my forehead. 

"I'm sorry," I sighed. "It's just that you've helped me get through so much and - I don't know. I don't want to lose someone else."

"I know what you mean."

I looked at him, taking in every detail of his face. Isaac was beautiful. The wounds on his skin were healing, though I could tell that they were going to leave scars. I remembered the day I had met him, the way he'd introduced himself and smiled, despite the situation we were in. He was covered in wounds and didn't know where his family was, but not even for a second did he say something negative. That was the beauty of it all. He'd managed to pass on some of his hope to me. I don't know if I would have been able to cope if it weren't for him. Having someone else there for me offered reassurance.

Isaac caught me staring. "What?" he asked.

"I love you," I told him. 

He paused for a second, just staring at me. I could feel my heart racing, anxiety stirring inside of me as I waited for him to say something. "I love you too, Ava."

Then I kissed him. When I pulled away, at the corner of my eye I saw something bright fly through the sky. "Isaac, did you see that?"

"See what?"

"A shooting star."

He smiled at me, taking my hand, his thumb running over my knuckles. "Make a wish."

And so I did. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, wishing that in the end, everything would turn out to be okay.

A/N: Three chapters in one day? I feel so accomplished XD Once again, feel free to comment any requests, feedback, questions or suggestions:) Hope you enjoyed!