Chapter 12

My breathing nearly stopped. 

She gave me a hug. I wanted to say something - anything - but I was left speechless. My best friend had survived.

"You're crazy, you know that? You could have gotten us both killed when you refused to move when that wave came," Piper said.

I didn't know what to say. I was finding people. Maybe they were all alive. I felt so overwhelmed with relief and happiness I felt tears prick my eyes. "H-How did you find me?" 

"I was calling your name and then this guy," she glanced at him, "he walked up to me and asked me who I was. When I told him my name was Piper, he kind of freaked out a little and dragged me here." 

I pulled away from the hug, looking at Isaac and smiling at him. "His name's Isaac, and that's his sister," I said, pointing to the two.

"Have you heard any news?" Piper asked. "Did you call home?"

"Yeah, I called my grandmother. She said my mom called, so now all we've gotta do is find her... Which won't be easy I'm assuming." 

"Your mom's alive?" Piper said, her eyes widening.

"Apparently so." I turned to Isaac, a few tears falling from my eyes - a result of the overpowering reassurance I was feeling in that very moment. I was picturing it now; picturing life with Mom and Dad and Mason and Piper, just like it used to be. "Isaac, h-how... I'm sorry this is just so... So incredibly unreal. How did you manage to find her again? There are so many people here and--"

Isaac smiled. "She was yelling your last name; it caught my attention. I went up to her and asked her if she knew you."

"Alright, enough chit-chat," Piper cut in. "We need to get going. We have to find your Mom."

"Isaac's little sister was just treated, we can stay here for awhile."

"Or just leave him," she said.

"Hey, chill out," Isaac chuckled, brushing off her sudden change in attitude. Piper narrowed her eyes at him.

"Don't start with me," she snarled.

"I dare you..." Isaac grinned.

She frowned at him. I could tell Isaac was joking around, but Piper seemed genuinely upset.

"Alright guys," I cut in.

"Stay out of this, Ava," Piper muttered.

I glanced at Isaac, watching him carefully to see what he'd say to her. He caught my stare and smirked, then shrugged. What Isaac didn't understand was that Piper had always been like this. She'd get into arguments all the time. She had a short temper, especially when she was stressed out. At a time like this, I was positive everyone was a subject to anxiety. All it took was a little understanding. 

"No, Ava's right. Calm down," Isaac said. Piper shot him a glare, then glanced at me.

"I gotta go," she said to me. "I'll be back soon. Meet you here?"

"Yeah," I breathed, still shocked at the fact that I had found her. Finding her so quickly must've meant that the rest of my family was close too. Maybe I'd find all of them within the next day. I smiled at the thought of it, a sense of relief washing over me. 

"Nice friend you've got there," Isaac said.

"She's kind of rude," Harper chimed in.

"I know, Piper's... Something else." I breathed out a laugh. "It's just something you've gotta get used to. And I mean, she's stressed. You can't blame her."

"I can't believe you managed to stay friends with her. That must take a lot of patience," Isaac chuckled. I had told him lots about Piper; what she looked like, how long we'd known each other, but only a bit about her strong personality. 

"Just give her a chance. She's probably a little overwhelmed right now. I know I am. For the most part, if she likes you, she can be nice."

"Well then, she doesn't seem to like me very much."

"Yeah, well, don't take it personally," I beamed, nudging his shoulder.

"I'll try."

A/N: I'm so sorry for taking my time to update this chapter, I was having a horrible writer's block. Feel free to comment feedback or requests:) QOTD: Favourite food?