Chapter 19

Sitting in a truck, I gazed at the view, watching the wreckage that invaded the streets. There were volunteers scattered along the sides of the road, picking things up, but I couldn't imagine Thailand ever being the same. The aftermath seemed too severe.

I wondered how many lives had been lost. I spotted a few TVs in the hospitals and shelters, each of them broadcasting news on the disaster. Everyday, the death toll seemed to rise.  

I asked myself if those back at home were aware of the event. I knew my family had been informed, but I wasn't sure about anyone else. Did my friends hear? Did my classmates know I was alive? How would they react when I returned?

And then an even bigger question popped up. What would I tell them about Mason?

I couldn't even bare the scenarios playing out in my head.

I took a deep breath, trying to get rid of the thoughts. Think of something else... Think of something else...

I wiped my eyes and hugged my knees as childhood memories came flashing back.

--

It was December 24th, 2003. My brother and I were baking cookies.

Mason was a hard-core believer in Santa Claus. Piper often teased him for his incredible amount of faith. His Christmas spirit was something nobody could ruin. 

Every Christmas Eve, he would leave out a tall glass of milk and a plate of fresh pastries on the kitchen table, in hopes that Santa would devour them all.

So there I was, baking cookies with my determined little brother.

I took out a large bowl and poured a mountain of sugar in it.

"I want to help!" Mason said, running into the room.

I laughed and scanned the recipe and searched for some easy tasks that he could help me with.

Reaching into the cupboard, I took out a large bag of flour and placed it onto the kitchen counter, opening it. My brother carefully observed, seemingly fascinated by the process of baking cookies. I handed him a measuring cup.

"Here." I said, "Scoop one cup of flour and put it into the bowl."

He smiled and climbed up a plastic stool. He towered over the ingredients, and plunged his hand into the soft fine substance.

He scooped up a cup of flour, before his foot slipped on the edge of the stool. Trying to find his balance, he grabbed onto the bag of flour, but still, he fell, taking the bag with him.

The powder scattered all over the floor.

Mason sat up, his eyes widening at the mess he had made. He crawled onto the floor and began gathering the flour into a pile. I sighed, "Good job, Mason."

I grabbed the sweeper and helped clean up.

Until I heard thudding behind me. Footsteps were approaching the kitchen. My heart began to pound. Mom and Dad would go ballistic if they saw the mess we had caused.

"Hurry!" Mason said, frantically sweeping up the flour. "Before Mom and Dad see!"

A girl walked into the room, catching a glimpse at our worried expressions. Mason sighed in relief. Piper cracked up laughing.

A/N: Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Once again, feel free to comment any feedback, requests, suggestions or questions! :D Thank you so much for reading.

QOTD: Favourite quote?