Chapter 32

"I don't want you to go!" Harper whined, tugging at my shirt and begging me not to leave.

It was the afternoon, a mere hour before my flight back home. I could feel my throat closing up, tears threatening to spill over. "I have to," was all I said.

"We'll see her again," Isaac said as if to reassure her. But I could see in his eyes that he knew he was lying. This was it. This was our final goodbye. We'd both move on with our lives after this flight, making efforts to forget 2004 and with that, we'd forget each other as well.

Harper bought it. "When?" she asked, looking up at him with glassy eyes.

Isaac paused for a second, hesitating. 

"Soon," he said. He took my hand. It was so warm and comforting and I wished I could cling onto it forever. I didn't want to let go. "We'll keep in contact, don't worry."

That was when I heard my mother call my name from a distance, and I knew it was time to go.

I looked up at him, my gaze meeting his. Still, after the entire mess we'd been through together, and despite the mess of cuts and wounds and dirt on his face, his eyes still held their brightness. I could get lost in them forever. He smiled a little, and I smiled back, cupping his face and pressing a quick kiss against his lips. I didn't understand how throughout the journey, he'd managed to stay positive for so long. He still smiled. He still watched the sunrise. He still thought that everything would turn out to be okay.

"Goodbye," I whispered. As soon as I let go of his hand, I missed the warmth and sense of comfort it brought. My heart sank as I turned away, trying to restrain my tears.

The word repeated continuously in my head. Goodbye. Goodbye. Goodbye. Goodbye.

I felt someone reach over and touch my wrist. I looked over my shoulder, catching a glimpse at Isaac. I turned to face him, and in that moment, it was as if the rest of the world had disappeared. Caressing my cheek, he lifted my chin and kissed me one more time.

I didn't want to pull away from him. I could feel my heart pounding inside of my ears, a mixture of emotions swirling inside of me. But as he pulled away, the world slowly came back into focus. Reality dawned on me. I hugged him, pulling him into a tight embrace.

"I love you." 

"I love you, too."

And then I pulled away, feeling numb and empty. I kept telling myself that I would get over it and that I would move on. I'd forget about him and what he looked like and how much he'd helped me and once I'd get home everything would be okay. But something deep inside of me told me that our battle wasn't over just yet.

My journey was not over.

-------

The engine roared. The sound filled my ears and I gripped the arms of the seat. My heart hammered inside of my chest as the plane ran and tilted upward, lifting off of the ground. I remembered my dream -- the dream where the plane had crashed into the water and I sunk into the bottomless ocean, water filling my lungs. I squeezed my eyes shut and attempted to erase the memory of it, then opened my eyes after I took a deep breath.

I sat near the window, staring at the wreckage the tsunami had caused. It was unbearable to watch. There was nothing left of Thailand. I could see very little land. The ocean had engulfed the majority.

I glanced at Piper, noticing how her expression crumpled and her eyes filled with tears. For the first time ever, I saw her cry.

I wondered how many lives had been lost. Judging by the aftermath, I questioned how I had even survived. It was a miracle.

Memories came flashing back, from the day of the tsunami up until right then. I felt as if I was stabbed -- each painful memory cutting deeper than the last.

I thought of Isaac, and the first time I met him.

I thought of when he had found Harper.

Of when he had found the photograph of his mother.

When he had helped me find Piper.

The first time they argued, and the line that cracked me up. "I dare you."

How he had insisted on helping me find my family.

How he helped me find Mason.

How he woke up early every morning to watch the sunrise.

When Harper left the hospital.

When he had found out about his father.

How he kissed me in the rain.

When I had found my mother.

The shooting star.

The wish I had made.

How he'd managed to bring out the good in the bad -- like the time he'd chased me with a spider.

When I had found out that it was time to leave.

Our last kiss. 

The feeling of his lips still lingered on mine -- I loved him. 

I loved him.

I loved him.

And right then I knew -- I knew that I would never get to have the same strong connection with anyone else, but with the boy who had helped me cope with the troubles the tide had brought.

-------

Down below, the ground looked like square plots. Everything was coated in white snow. Gradually, buildings came into view. I pressed my fingers against the window, feeling the familiar, icy temperature of Montreal.

As the plane neared the ground, I could see tiny cars heading down long highways. A sudden bump told me the landing gear was released.

I unclasped my seat belt, standing up from my seat.

It had been a long flight. I yawned and stretched out my arms and legs, feeling tired.

As I left the plane, Montreal's bone-chilling breeze struck me. I had forgotten how cold it was during the winter.

I stepped into the airport, observing my surroundings. It was so much less crowded. So much more different than Thailand.

My family members were waiting for me, tears in their eyes. I could barely process what was going on.

They pulled me into a hug.

This couldn't be real. This couldn't be real. 

It took me a few days to realize that I, Ava Grace Kato, was finally home.