Chapter 18

Back at the other hospital, Isaac had left to go get some water.

I found a pink highlighter on the floor and sat by Harper's bed. Then, I yanked off the cap and pressed the marker against my palm, tracing random designs along my hand - anything to keep me distracted from what had just happened.

Isaac had tried comforting me, but I'd pushed him away. I was in no mood to talk, no mood to hug and cry into someone's shoulder, no mood to remember happy memories. I wanted to fall into my own little world - a world where I could be with my brother, and my father, and my mother. A world where we could just live together as one happy family, with no worries or stress whatsoever. I wanted to go to sleep. I wanted to get away from reality.

"What are you doing?" Harper asked.

"Drawing." I said bluntly, trailing the highlighter along my wrist and watching the pale ink seep into my skin.

"Drawing what?" she wondered. I didn't even bother making eye-contact.

"Something," I said.

"Like what?"

I was slightly irritated with all of the questions, so I decided not to answer.

She asked me again, but I ignored her, locking my pain away somewhere deep inside of me.

--

After a while, Isaac came back with water. I held the styrofoam cup tightly between my hands, the ink from the highlighter imprinting on it. I brought the cup to my lips and took a sip, the refreshing liquid quenching my thirst. 

"Are you tired or something?" Harper asked me. I felt annoyed, but tried not to react.

"No Harper, I'm not." I said, putting down the cup.

"Then what's wrong?" she questioned, eyeing me suspiciously.

"Nothing, I'm fine." I lied.

"You don't seem fine."

"I said I'm fine!" I snapped. I felt anger stirring inside of me, mounding in my blood, making my skin hot and my heart pound.

Harper scooted away from me. "Sorry." She muttered.

Isaac watched the two of us, not bothering to intervene. He just stood quietly, staring. 

Suddenly I felt bad for having raised my voice. It wasn't Harper's fault. She was just curious. I would have been, too.

"Harper," I sighed, "I didn't mean to say it like that."

There was a long silence. The two just stared at me and didn't say anything, as if they were afraid to. They didn't come close, and they didn't make a sound.

"I-I think I'm gonna leave now." I said, getting up hesitantly. I avoided eye-contact with them.

"Where are you going?" Isaac asked softly.

"Just back to the shelter." I said, "I... I'll see you later."

A/N: Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter. Sorry it was so short. Once again, feel free to comment requests, questions, suggestions or feedback:)

QOTD: Iva or Pisaac?