12. Scratchy

Harwin smiled down at little Vaera as she marched along the halls, Calypso ran after her, little Calypso thought she was a big dragon but she was only the size of a small dog, she slept in Vaera's bed and chased after her to all her lessons. 

"Ser Harwin," Vaera gestured him closer, he knelt before her and she sat on his thigh, he chuckled placing a gentle hand around her to keep her from falling. 

"Yes little princess?" Harwin answered.

"Do you think Nyra will ever love me?"

"She loves you, you are her sister." harwin corrected. 

"No, uncle Daemon told me that the reason Nyra wants to play hide and seek is so I hide and Nyra doesnt have to find me." 

"He shouldnt have told you that." harwin corrected. 

"I love my uncle, I'm glad he told me." Vaera corrected, big beautiful eyes stared up at him. "I'm just... I want her to love me too. I want to be just like her one day."

"Dont be like your sister, be you." Harwin corrected giving her a little squeeze. "Because you Vaera Rose Targaryen are amazing, just as you are." 

"Thank you Harwin." Vaera answered getting up, she kissed his cheek before wiping a hand over her lips. "Your face is so scratchy." Vaera informed him. Harwin ran a hand over the stubble on his jaw. 

"Should I shave?" Harwin mused. 

"If you want me kissing you again, yes." Vaera answered honestly. Harwin didnt know why he did it, Vaera was only five years old and yet, he went and shaved. He would do anything for Vaera already. 

+

"What are you doing?" Vaera asked staring back at Daemon.

"I'm trying to read your mind." Daemon told her and Vaera got up standing in front of him placing her hands on his cheeks.

"Better?" Vaera asked and Daemon chuckled wrapping his arms around her.

"Much." He agreed.

"Well?"

"Well what?" Daemon countered.

"What am I thinking?"

"You don't know?" Daemon mused and Vaera tried to take a step back but he held her to him. He snapped his fingers thinking. "Cookies."

"I am always thinking about cookies." Vaera told him.

"Okay think of something else." Daemon instructed.

"Caly." She declared.

"Don't tell me little love." Daemon laughed kissing her cheeks. "Think of something else, don't tell me love, don't tell me this time. Just think." Vaera nodded as he rested his head against hers. He snapped his fingers and Vaera chuckled her eyes drifting to his hand.

Rhaenyra didnt like how close Daemon and Vaera were, she needed to find a friend of her own. The capital had many options but most of them wanted to follow Rhaenyra around much like a puppy, much like Vaera did. 

"Snaps." Daemon declared and Vaera laughed out as he pulled her into his lap.

"Snaps is the game." Vaera declared. "My turn." She said getting up. "Snaps..." she tried to snap her fingers. she stared down at her hands as she tried to snap but couldnt figure it out. "Uncle Daemon." Vaera said with a pout. "Help." Vaera held out her hand. "Help."

He sat her back down in his lap and snapped his fingers. She watched his fingers. He held her hand in his and positioned her own fingers. She tried again and again. Daemon wrapped his arms around her and snapped his fingers back and forth, left hand and right. Her eyes darted between his hands with every snap.

"Snaps is the name of the game the name of the game is snaps. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isnt. This time it is." Daemon told her. She snapped once and jumped up but Daemon held her to him.

"I did it!" Vaera declared. "Okay. I'm ready." she stood and rested her forehead against Daemon's. He snapped his fingers focusing on Vaera. She focused on her fingers as she tried to snap again. It was soft but she did it. She twisted her lips as she focused on Daemon. Then a smirk crossed her little face. Harwin chuckled from the door. Vaera was the sweetest little thing, she was the opposite of her sister, she loved being near people, she loved being close to them while Rhaenyra was very much independent and didnt like to be bothered. 

"Snaps is the name of the game the name of the game is snaps. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isnt. This time it is." Daemon repeated.

"Me." Vaera said confidently. Daemon smiled kissing her cheek.

"Always." Daemon agreed.

"So can we get a cookie now?" Vaera asked happily.

"Always." He agreed again as she tried to help him up. 

When they got to the kitchen, Viserys was waiting for them with Rhaenyra. Vaera ran to Rhaenyra hugging her tight, Rhaenyra rolled her eyes but reluctantly hugged Vaera back knowing she wouldnt let go until she got her hug too. Viserys smiled at the sweet moment between them while Daemon held back a laugh at Rhaenyra's pinched face. 

"Let go now Vee." Rhaenyra instructed. Vaera beamed up at her letting go and running to Viserys, he scooped her up easily. 

"Where is mama? This seems like a cookie party!" Vaera declared. 

'Mama is in bed, she isnt feeling well." Viserys answered. 

"Is it time for the baby?" Vaera questioned. 

"No... I'm sorry love, the baby didnt make it." 

"Oh... where is he?"  Vaera questioned. 

"He's in heaven." Viserys answered. 

"Tell them to give him back, " Vaera decided. 

"Tell who Vee?" Rhaenyra questioned. 

"The angels, mama was looking forward to having another baby." Vaera corrected. 

"Oh my sweet girl, it doesnt work like that unfortunately." Viserys corrected. 

"So mama needs a cookie to feel better." Vaera decided, Viserys put her down and she grabbed a plate of cookies marching them to Aemma's chambers.