Ch. 10 The truth gets revealed

Did I pass the test?

My brain short-circuited without being able to understand what was happening. It must have been the lack of sleep, food, and water, my tiredness was so much that I could barely keep my eyes open, much less was I going to be able to analyze what was happening around me.

It was all a farce. The click came several minutes later, temporarily waking me up. Those good-for-nothing assholes, I wanted to free myself from the chains and kick each of their asses, Zaziel included.

Shit, that had to be the reason he was missing. Let's mentally torture Roselyn before we fake kidnapping her. Wonderful, one of the best fucking experiences of my life.

Had all the members suffered the same? It was a somewhat extreme way of ensuring the loyalty of the candidates, although coming from a group like the rogues it was not that surprising either. Being tough was part of their essence.

My new friends must have also known what was happening and none of them said anything. Great, once again I had been deceived by the people I had decided to trust. Surely there was a plaque waiting for me to congratulate me for breaking a record.

I was for sure going to turn into an insensitive monster soon if everything kept going that way. Maybe it wasn't so bad, I could get to the same level as my family to return them the fair for what they did to me.

"Is it over? That fast?" asked the man who still had the pliers in his hand.

Fast? They called a full day of torture fast? I didn't want to imagine what standard time was like for them. They were for sure tough people, if they can survive the torture of the test they can endure anything.

How did the previous candidates forgive their torturers? They had to leave all of the physical and mental pain behind and live next to those who made them suffer for so long.

Zaziel approached us and stood next to me. The look he gave to my false captors was enough to make the strongest falter.

"I said that's enough," he repeated his words without further explanation.

"Otis is right," the redhead said. "We just went one day, the rest of the candidates had to endure three."

Three? That's a lot for a trial.

"I don't fucking care what anyone else did!" Zaziel shouted, startling us all. "She's already proven more than enough."

"How can we be sure it's enough?" Otis asked, more unsure than the first time. "We only left her without food and drink for a while, we didn't even hurt her a little. I'm not saying we have to do a lot of damage, but at least something basic, a couple of—

"I said it's over! Who's the alpha here? Do I have to lock you in the dungeon for a week so you remember who’s your leader?" Screamed Zaziel, burning with rage. “If you say one more word you can say goodbye to the rogues. Let's see how you do it in the wild.”

The three of them lowered their heads and their bodies began to tremble. They finally made the right decision, Zaziel looked like he was about to explode, and it was likely that if he did they would end up in a worse state than mine.

"My apologies," the redhead said. "Besides, there's no point in continuing if she already knows it's all a lie.”

“Get the fuck out of here,” Zaziel said, clenching his fist.

They didn't wait a second to run away. On the way to the door one of the three tripped on a tile and almost fell.

Their level of desperation was very funny and enjoyable to me after what they had done to me. Although in a way I understood that it was not something personal, all the candidates had to go through the same thing.