Ch. 14: Accepting the Feelings

Another day, another awkward encounter with Zaziel.

It had barely been more than twenty-four hours since our discussion in his office and in that short time I had met him at least ten times around the mansion. It was ironic that when I wanted to see him he would spend his time hiding, but when I wanted to escape from him I would find him in every corner.

Every time I tried to ignore him, pretend I wasn't seeing him, my silly wolf started screaming his name. I was already tired of hearing Zaziel's name, if someone mentioned him a murderous instinct arose in me ready to attack at any second.

He liked to pretend that nothing had happened, he preferred to keep acting cool and cocky in front of the others. Zaziel wasn't a ferocious alpha, he was a little wolf scared of his own feelings.

And what did that make me? I hadn't accepted what I felt for him either. I never told Zaziel that I missed his presence when he wasn't there, that no one could make me feel as alive as he did, that every time I saw him I longed for his touch, and that just imagining him with someone else made me furious.

I still couldn't put a name to my feelings but I did know that I wanted to be with him as long as he would allow me.

So why couldn't we even look each other in the eyes while sitting in the meeting room? We didn't even sit close, I was almost on the other side of the table, hiding behind Darla.

Opposite from me, Artec kept making gestures to complain about me taking his place next to his mate. I smirked at him and rested my head on Darla's shoulder.

"Traitor," he mouthed the words to me.

Darla joined my game and placed a kiss on the crown of my head.

"Don't leave me, love, I'll be better," He shouted at her dramatically, gaining everyone's attention.

"Will you stop playing? We have a meeting to start," Lion reprimanded us, taking his place next to Zaziel.

"We were making time because a certain beta wasn't here on time for the meeting yet," answered Artec.

"I was late because unlike you I have important things to do." Lion sent Artec a killer gaze.

"That's enough, the two of you," Zaziel interrupted them. "Let's begin with this before I regret calling all of you. Klaus tells us what you found."

Klaus adjusted his glasses and stood up. Even though it wasn't necessary, he liked to get up from his seat every time he spoke. I once asked Xara why he did it; according to her, Klaus stands up to pay more attention to our reactions. If someone isn't listening to him, he takes revenge later.

"I investigated the relationship between Callius Comrar and Dainan Zylvaris. The two had known each other for four years when Dainan took over as alpha of the Nightfall Pack, they only saw each other at the region's alpha meetings and there didn't seem to be any interest in creating an alliance among them."

"So what changed their mind?" Artec asked.

"Roselyn," Klaus looked at me. "Two years ago Callius began looking for a suitor for her. If he did it correctly that would allow him to gain an alliance with a powerful pack without even having to put his daughter at risk. Roselyn has enough status to be a good option for the alphas but Callius doesn't care about what could happen to her, that is a great advantage for him. He didn't even have to worry about finding a decent alpha, just having a powerful pack was enough."

"What an asshole," Darla murmured next to me, making me smile.

"Dainan was one of the candidates, Callius' favorite, since Nightfall has the most resources of all the packs. Callius invited Dainan to his mansion a couple of times and I understand he introduced him to Roselyn."