Ch.13: The Status of the Relationship

Klaus' lair, that's what Artec called the surveillance room, he even went so far as to hang a sign on the front door with that name. I would have loved to see Klaus' face when Artec appeared with the pink sign in his hand, perhaps he had a picture of that exact moment.

I didn't know what to expect from Klaus, in our few interactions he always stayed out of conversations unless it was to address something he saw on his security cameras. The rest of the members didn't talk much about him either, they just called him a hermit, a computer genius, and a stalker.

The lack of knowledge made me nervous, there was no guarantee that he would take my request positively and the last thing I wanted was to turn a member of the inner circle against me.

It's not like I had a choice, no one other than him could get the information I wanted. Taking a risk didn't sound so bad if I considered what I could gain if everything went well.

I took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

"Come in," Klaus answered from inside.

The light from the screens combined with the darkness of the room almost blinded me when I got inside. The air felt heavy, probably due to the lack of windows and the cigarette smoke.

"You finally got the courage to knock on the door, it's been more than fifteen minutes since I saw you arrive," Klaus said from his chair, pointing to the screen in front of him.

That was embarrassing. Of course the hacker in the group was going to have a security camera in front of the door of his lair.

"I wasn't sure if you'd mind having visitors," I confessed, there was no point in feigning disinterest anymore.

He turned his chair and the noise the wheels made made me grit my teeth.

"I don't mind as long as you don't make it a habit." He pointed to the bench next to him. "Don't just stand there, it makes me nervous.”

I took a seat, placing my hands on my lap. When the silence between us started to get awkward, I started playing with my fingers.

Klaus took one last puff of his cigarette and crashed it on the ashtray.

"Are you going to tell me why you're here or are you going to keep wasting our time? I don't remember you being so shy."

"Sorry, I just have a lot on my mind right now," I lied, hiding the fact that his presence made me uncomfortable. "Last night I suppose you heard what Kerian said about my uncle and Dainan Zylvaris, I wanted to know if you had found out anything about that."

"I'm working on it, for now I was only able to verify that Keiran told the truth. It would be very helpful if you have any idea of the relationship they had before they started their meetings.”

My mind worked a mile an hour trying to remember all the times I saw Dainan and what my uncle said about him. The Nightfall Pack alpha was almost a mystery to me but I knew something that could help.

"Dainan was one of my uncle's candidates to be my fiancé," I explained while trying to keep my anger in check. "My uncle insisted on marrying me to an alpha from another pack, I assume to grow his power. With my disappearance, I'm not sure why he would want to work with him."

"Maybe he wants his help to find you, does your uncle have any reason to want you back?"

"The only thing I can think of is that he might need me to keep my father's former followers on his side."

If they still cared about me, after all, no one did anything even though my uncle kept me locked up most of my life.

Klaus spun back to face the computer, his hands moving at rapid speed across the keyboard as he completely ignored my presence. I felt as if I had become invisible, one moment we were talking and suddenly I didn't exist for him.