Tying the Knots

Just like Frank had, Caroline and Thomas both received their letters

   Just like Frank had, Caroline and Thomas both received their letters. Caroline received hers in the form of a DVD which she popped into her player in her bedroom as she laid back with a glass of 1981 Pinot she had received from her director friend Jacques Gilbert who lived in Paris. The video she watched was the same just as Frank had and she too had reservations about continuing it after he stripped, but her curiosity took over.
  Thomas had opened his email shortly after the ping and the video played for him. Needless to say he was as stunned as the others. In the letter to Frank, in Caroline's DVD, and in Thomas email were all a business card with a telephone number.
  "Do you recognize this area code?," Caroline said as she twirled the business card in her fingers.
  Benny, her male caretaker scurried over to her and examined the card. "That would be a European area code."
  "Hand me my phone Benny," she said. "I need to call someone."
  When Augustus IPhone rang, he looked at the area code and his smile spread far beyond his ears.
  "Hello Frau Caroline," he spoke bubbly.
  "How did you know it was me calling," she said cautiously.
  "Well I mailed you your package! Of course I know your number!"
  "Yes, about that," Caroline said. "Your little theatrics we're quite impressive. But, nothing a modern director can't pull off. What is the catch here?"
  "No catch at all," Augustus said his tone becoming more reserved. "I'm offering you a once in a life time opportunity to be young again. No smoke. No mirrors."
  "Ok, let's pretend this was real. Why me out of all the people on this planet? Why did you choose to send me a letter?"
  "Because of your reputation," Augustus said cooly. "You are one of the most powerful women in the world of fashion. Surely you haven't forgotten your contributions to the art."
  Caroline paused a moment feeling genuinely respected. "Well, no I haven't and we'll thank you for saying that."
  "Of course Caroline! You are a pioneer and a revolutionary! It only makes sense why I offer you such a tremendous opportunity."
"Ok, but what do you get from this?"
  "A business woman always," Augustus laughed. "I admire that. Ok, I admit there is something I do request."
  "And that is?"
  "If I make you young again, I request to be a partner in your business. You will be fresh and new. Think of how much you could change the fashion world with the vigor of your younger self!"
  "Honey," Caroline laughed. "If you possibly could make me young, you could have my company."
   Augustus could barely contain himself. "Humor me, Frau Caroline. I'll fly you out to Germany in my private jet. All expenses paid. Though I know money isn't an issue, this is my treat to you. You come and see for yourself. I guarantee this will be the best decision of your life".
  Caroline thought a moment, and looked down at her arthritic hand as it shook slightly. She gritted her teeth and shook her head. "You know what. Screw it! There's adventure still left in this old gal! Worst comes to worst, I get some time off to Germany. I accept your offer Augustus."
  Augustus set down his phone and squealed in delight. He pumped his fist in the air and gave a little dance. Gertrude clapped her hands and gave a little courtesy as Augustus winked at her. He took a deep breath and picked up the phone.
"I shall make arrangements immediately. My chauffeur Conrad will pick you up in two days at 9:00 am promptly. He is never late."
"Well neither am I. I shall see him then."
"Before you go Caroline," Augustus said. "I just want you to know that you won't regret this."