Afterward: New Beginnings

Caroline sat in a beach chair and tanned herself

  Caroline sat in a beach chair and tanned herself. She heard a giggle and looked over her newspaper to see Charlie building a sandcastle.
"How's the castle coming my love?," she said.
"Momma," Charlie squeaked. "Look how big I made it! We can move into it."
"Then what about our house," Caroline laughed.
"But I made this one," he beamed. "I made it for my momma!"
Caroline adjusted her sunglasses so that Charlie didn't see the thick tears that formed in her eyes. It had been three years since she had rescued him from that awful castle and thank goodness he knew nothing about it. He was just a couple months old at the time.
"I'd love to live there as long as I have you," she choked.
Caroline looked out towards the ocean and thought about her life. The gift she was given even though it had come with a price was something she was grateful for. Even thinking that brought a twist to her stomach. After she escaped and when she got home with Charlie, she sold her company under the guise of being Caroline's long lost niece whom she left everything to, Claudia.
She attended her own funeral and comforted her long time friends. She said her goodbyes and took Charlie and moved to Mexico where she could enjoy retirement at the age of...well whatever she was...77...27.....it didn't matter.
All she knew was that she was a mother now. She had Charlie and that's all that mattered. She could have the life she never had. She could be a better person. She could use her life skills to do it over, but right this time.
As she thought about all this, Charlie ran up to her and asked her if they could go get ice cream.
"Yes," she said softly. "That sounds amazing right now."
And they walked off the beach, hand in hand. Caroline looked at Charlie and he looked at her and she realized only this moment mattered and nothing else.

End.