Chapter 14: Edge of sanity I

Wind blew gently the hair.
It carried leaves of different colors from different roots.
Both Kenzie and Lucas stared at the huge sign, which left them puzzled.
It read "Trollin Police station ".
"Trollin Police station?Is that a suitable name for a police station, isn't it strange?", Kenzie asked Lucas as she still focused on the sign.
"I guess the uniqueness makes it stand out", Lucas said.
Kenzie just shrugged.
"Let's get in"
Lucas nodded and they made their way inside.
It was a busy station, calls coming through every now and then, arrested culprits being dragged away as they complained, officers attending to those testifying and those filing reports.
Kenzie scouted the area just to identify Shawn but she didn't see any sign of him.
"Do you see Shawn anywhere?", Kenzie asked still looking around.
"No but there is Lindy coming this way", Lucas said returning the smile Lindy had on her face.
"Why is she smiling like that, was she expecting us?", Kenzie whispered between her teeth.
"I don't think so, I didn't tell her we are coming", Lucas returned the response with the same whispering.
"Kenzie, how glad I am to see you, how have you been?", she said pulling in Kenzie for a bear hug.
Kenzie was stunned to react.
"Good , I think"
"Silly me, how could I ask you such a question, having your brother being... anyways how are you coping with the situation".
"I am trying.. it's not easy but I am trying", Kenzie said trying to get out of the hug.Finally she managed and gave Lindy awkward smile.
"We are here to see Shawn, is he in today", Lucas asked trying to ease the tension . He wanted to break the awkwardness situation.
"Oh well, follow me, I will take you there", Lindy turned and was already walking away.
Kenzie and Lucas exchanged a smile and both followed Lindy.
After walking past some offices, they finally reached to one which Lindy was already opening.
"Shawn , you have some visitors ", there wasn't an response, so they all came in.
The room was messy, files lying everywhere, the room smelled funky, it was dusty with barely any air circulation.The small windows were opened but they barely made any difference.
There was a mug on the table,with some spilled coffee by the side, the lamp was on the floor, Infront of the hunched over Shawn.He was going through some files, and he barely showed signs of life.It seemed like he had been pulling a night shift, for continuous nights.
He was a mess, dark baggy circles around his eyes.He barely blinked as he stared at the documents.
"Shawn", Lindy called out but he didn't respond.
"Shawn! Hey Shawn!!", she shouted out loud banging the door with her palm.
Shawn finally reacted but not much,as he just gave them a friendly smile.
"Miss Lincoln?!"
Shawn stood up and stretched out his hand for a handshake.
Kenzie politely returned the gesture.
"Let me clear up here, so that you might sit", Kenzie nodded.
Within a few minutes, Kenzie and Lucas were sitting opposite side of Shawn.He was spinning his pen as he kept on dropping his head.He was sleepy but tried to hide it.
"If I am assuming, you are here for your brother's case, right?"
"Well the answer is yes and no", Kenzie calmly responded.
"Huh, I don't think I understand you", Shawn said sitting up straight.
"Yes that's true", Kenzie said, she then sighed.
"You see today I am not here about Tyson's case but I might as well know the progress of it,"
"Oh so there's another reason you are here, if I may ask, what is it?"
"Well I want you to help me with something, not much"
Shawn thought for a minute as he placed the pen by his side, "If it's something within my capabilities, I promise I wouldn't hesitate helping you"
Kenzie smiled.
"Well does it happen that in the past few days, you raided a squatter camp nearby?"
"Near the museum?", Lindy asked.
"Yes", Lucas responded as he looked at Lindy.
"Well yes we did, why do you ask?", Shawn returned his eyes to Kenzie.
Kenzie kept quiet, she didn't know what say, she hadn't really told Shawn about her other brother who was also a victim of that night, would she be charged or anything if it was revealed that she wasn't quite honest with the law force and held back some information, she really hadn't prepared for this.
"Well , my brother ran away from home, he was seen in the camps which it happens you raided , so now we aren't aware of his whereabouts".
Lucas said.
Kenzie looked at him, it seems like he also sensed that it was going to be a big deal when Kenzie told Shawn about Mike.
"Ohh I see, well we did capture some while others escaped, so you might as well want to check"
"Yes!!...I mean we would love that", Kenzie said trying to hide her smile.
"Okay then, let's go", with that Shawn stood up and left the room.
They all followed him as Lindy stayed behind, she said she would come also in a few minutes.
After passing a couple of cells, they all finally reached to one which Shawn was standing Infront of.
He was looking at the people inside.They were wearing ripped clothes which were dirty and covered with blood stains.Some had serious injuries which were now bandaged while some had minor cuts which were left unattended.
Shawn opened the gate and Kenzie got in.
"Mike?,Mike? Mike!!!" , no response, she scouted the whole room but there wasn't any sign of him.
Tears rolled on her cheeks but she quickly wiped them away.
"Mike?", Shawn asked stepping inside.
"Uhm like Lucas said, Mike is his brother, I was quite close with him and he was at my place before he ran away so I feel guilty, it feels like my fault"
"I'm sorry, I understand,what about you file a missing person report and we put up posters of him around and have a searching crew look for him, I am certain,we can find him"
"No!", both Kenzie and Lucas said in unison.
Putting posters of Mike was very very bad, Maxwell will be aware that he is still alive and a lot more enemies will be aware of it, almost everyone wanted the Lincoln family dead.
"Why?", Shawn asked, his face covered with an expression of confusion.
"Well I think I know where he is", Lucas quickly responded.
"You do?", Kenzie was the first to ask.
Lucas squinted his eyes showing the sign of desperation, he was making an excuse.
"Yes I do and we better hurry before he moves again ", Lucas said grabbing Kenzie's arm.
"Yes yes, detective goodbye, we have to go now "
Kenzie was now exiting the cell.
"What about your brother's update, don't you want to know anything?"
"Well let's do this, give me your phone and I will add my number, I think I lost yours, we will then talk about this on the phone, okay?", Kenzie was now dialling in her digits.
"But..", Shawn had no time to respond as the duo hurried out.

"Those two are really suspicious, don't you think?", Lindy said approaching Shawn.
"Mm, I think I see it too"
"They are forgetting we are trained for these kind of things, it's our job for crying out loud"
Shawn sighed.
"I wonder what it is they are are hiding"
"Don't worry, we will find out soon", Lindy said with smile.
"How..", Shawn turned to look at Lindy, she had the look that she always made when she was up to something, Shawn was sure she had a plan already figured out.

"I'm sorry about that... using your brother's name, that wasn't cool"
Lucas was driving, he said that looking at Kenzie.She was quiet, Kenzie was leaning on the window staring outside.
"Miss Kenzie?"
"It's fine, no need to apologize", Kenzie responded still looking away.
Lucas nodded and continued driving.In no time they had arrived at Kenzie's house.
Kenzie got off and dragged her feet to the house.She threw herself in the couch, she didn't know if she wanted to eat or sleep as it didn't matter to her.She was still thinking about a way to solve everything, to clean up the mess, but the more she thought about it, the more she saw how difficult her task was but that didn't mean she was going to give up, giving up wasn't an option, Maxwell had to die no matter what.
"Let me make you something to eat", Lucas said walking to the kitchen.
Kenzie just nodded and closed her eyes.Moments later, Lucas came back with a plate of spaghetti.Kenzie 's kitchen had almost anything and he decided to cook spaghetti, how creative, that was Kenzie being sarcastic.
Lucas placed the plate on the table.Kenzie noticed something and stopped him from getting up.
"Wait", she leaned over.
"Your eyes"
"My eyes? What's wrong with my eyes?"
"How didn't I notice, I did see the change but now that I look at them I spot the difference so clearly, you put contact lenses don't you?"
Kenzie's hand reached out to touch Luca's hair, it was soft and fluffy, unexpected she found herself smiling.
Lucas just froze.
Reality kicked in and Kenzie found herself staring at Lucas, having the same stare.She immediately retrieved her hand and grabbed the plate.She started eating fast her food.
She didn't even want to see his expression.How could she foolishly act like she hasn't seen contact lenses before.
"Slow down you might choke, let me get you a glass of water, it's a bit spicy also", with that he left.
Kenzie stabbed her spaghetti with the fork, because she didn't see his expression made it even worse , this was very embarrassing.
Kenzie switched on the TV and started going through the channels.
Lucas returned with the glass and offered her.She reached out to grab as she still focused on the screen.
Suddenly she saw something that made her heart drop.The glass she was holding also dropped and broke with a loud shatter.
"You..",Lucas said before turning to see what had made her freeze, even he was taken back upon seeing it.

Happy New Year to all , welcome back, but it won't be a long stay as our book is about to end, getting to the good part , hope you enjoy the peace because next Chapter, "I think I might have a heart attack"🎶