Chapter 18:A perfect plan

It was a moonless night.
The atmosphere was quiet, almost too quiet, maybe it was because it was time to sleep.No patient was out of their rooms by this hour, a few patrolling wardens, moving up and down the corridors, some drinking coffee to knock off the drowsiness.
A knock was heard by the door.
A soft low Come In,  was almost immediately answered.
The door was opened and shut just as quickly.
"Kenzie "
"Doctor, what a perfect encounter, I knew you will still be up by now", she smiled and walked over to her desk.
She pulled out,a chair to sit.
Amelia Earhart was still standing up.
"Wait you are not sitting, is my presence that uncomfortable," Kenzie spoke as she was opening a lollipop she had spotted on her desk.
"Y-you mustn't eat candy, it's not good for you", Amelia said sitting down.
"Well since I found it  here, does that mean it's good for you", Kenzie put back the lollipop in her mouth.
"But.. you are on medication, it's..."
"Before we continue, let me be clear about one thing, I am not crazy, the second thing is, I don't take those damn pills, why you Ask, I Don't Know, maybe because I am NOT EVEN CRAZY, to begin with..... anyways I am not here for this, aren't you going to ask why I am here", Kenzie was tapping the table.
Amelia's attention was focusing on the table, Kenzie 's mind was hard to read sometimes, she was capable of just doing something which was unexpected, so she couldn't afford to let her guard down.
"Well I was about to...why are you here, this late at night, I mean aren't you supposed to be in your room, did you sneak out, ... security, I must..."
"You are doing nothing ", Kenzie banged the table.
"Listen I was waiting for one question from you, the same as I have that one answer for that question, the rest you asked is simple nonsense and I have no reason to attend to."
Kenzie stretched her arms.
"N-now back to your question,Why I am here, well simple, I am here for the offer to help me "
Amelia seemed to relax a bit.
"Help?"
"Yes the other day, you said a lot of gibberish but the word HEIP, pulled me in.I have been thinking about it, why not accept your help... that if it's still available ", Kenzie raised her eyebrow.
Amelia's facial expression suddenly changed, she was smiling.
"Ofcourse...I mean yes, helping you may be part of my job but I am doing this generously, I am happy you are accepting this, starting on your medical treatment sooner, increase your chances of recovery, ", Amelia seemed excited as she pulled out some papers of sheet and started writing stuff on them.
"Wait wait, since I am asking for help, mustn't I choose the kind of help I require"
Amelia stopped writing.
"If it's not medical attention then..", She looked at Kenzie.
Kenzie Leaned back on her chair and smirked.She chew the lollipop, crushing it to bits and pulled out the stick.She started playing with it.
"Please come in", Kenzie softly said.
She was looking at Amelia, she was frightened as she looked at the door.
"Loosen up, nothing serious, we won't do anything to you"
"We?"
The door was opened and SK got in with an evil grin.He was in his teasing self.
"Hi", he said with a sly smile.

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

The coffee auroma lingered in the air.Freshly baked cakes and cupcakes were smelt from afar.The cafe was buzzing with people .It was early and everything was hardly  touched.The bell rang as the door flew open.A man emerged with a white long, doctor's coat.He was quite handsome, doing his first year residency in the nearby hospital.He got in and started looking around.He spotted someone who was was waving at him with a warm smile.
"Tom , long time no see, please sit", he was indicated to sit opposite the person.
"Amelia Earhart, I won't lie ,I am surprised you still have my contacts".
Amelia smiled and gestured if she could pour Tom some tea.
He politely waved his hands.
"I am a coffee person lately, I would love a cup of coffee".
Amelia nodded and asked for the waiter.
"I don't mean to rush you but I am quite busy , as you can see ,I am already in a hurry, if I may ask why you suddenly asked to meet up".
Amelia placed the cup on the table and looked down.
"As embarrassing as this is for me , for I haven't contacted you for a long time ,...and I just only contacted you now  because I need your help....I am desperate and have no choice at all"
Tom frowned a bit , waiting for the other piece of the untold story.
"Well it may absurd but I need your help with...."

Tom slammed the table .He had patiently listened for 15 minutes and the only reaction he got was rage and annoyance.
"You want me to do what!!"
Amelia gestured him to be quieter as eyes were now focusing on them.
"Are you crazy, I will literally lose my license, let me not even count my job".
"I know, I know but , I am very very desperate right now, and if I did have a choice,I wouldn't be sitting here doing this "
" Listen I don't know who  you are helping, and how you are related to them but do you think sabotaging your career like this for them is worth it".
Amelia remained quiet.
" I am sorry but I can't help you, what about the original patients, how will they get in the hospital if your friends are now replacing them, let's not talk about that, what about their treatment,they  need emergency treatment and it  can't be delayed any longer ".
"I know okay, I thought of ways we can handle them, I looked up at their charts, they don't have relatives or friends, no one is checking up on them and they can pull through one week, by then I will get them ,retransfered,no big deal..."
"No big deal! Are you hearing yourself, just because they don't have anyone in their life, you now think their lives is just invulnerable, not precious, is that human talk , is that even you Amelia talking or those psychos behind this".
Amelia eyes were teary , she wiped them and looked at him.
" I don't understand any of this guilt tripping or dehumanizing but it won't work, if you think all of this is selfishness and cruelty, then let it be, it's your opinion but I won't sit here and get  lectured about what's good and what's not, I believe what I am doing is right, and I have my own reason and perspective, so I will go ahead without your help ".
Amelia got up and took her handbag.
"Before judging me, you must try being in my shoes, judging those "psychos", maybe try  hearing their story, ....forget we had this conversation ".
And with that Amelia left.
Tom was left taken back.
He knew Amelia's idea was wrong  either way, but he couldn't help feel a bit of guilt as he didn't know her intentions.

"So..how did it go?"
" Terrible "
Amelia heard a sigh on the other line.
"He just isn't convinced this is right, he doesn't want to lose his medical licence"
"My fight, I don't expect pity or sympathy, I am getting out of this hell hole with or without help, just wait and see, that swapping idea, I am still sticking with it , let's meet up tonight."

Amelia's eyes widened,.
"Wait you are escaping tonight, Kenzie , that soon , we haven't planned anything "
Kenzie scoffed and dropped the phone.
"Wait..hello.. hello, this", Amelia looked at her phone.
"This doesn't make sense, she's escaping tonight but Tom, he refused, then how...unless..", Amelia started the car and left the cafe.A million questions were buzzing in her head , and she couldn't figure out the answers.

Hi guys, nice to be back, I know I hardly update these days , and I do apologize but here I am.I don't want to say this all the time,but sadly, it's nearly done, I guess that's why I don't want to finish writing so fast because, I will miss it, I enjoyed writing this book, Thank you, please like and comment 🌊🌊