Never-ending divide

Daemon and Shaera entered the room, everybody looked towards them as they sat until Viserys entered. Alyssa and Aemma sat opposite their parents. Harwin and Rhaenyra sat together, their affection evident and to think Viserys didn't betroth them to begin with. Rhaenyra loved Laenor, he was her companion but he was not Harwin. Laenor was not her strong Knight that made her feel alive.

Everyone waited in silence until Viserys spoke, he was desperate to bring the people he cared for back together.

"It both gladdens my heart and fills me with sorrow to see these faces around the table. The faces most dear to me in the world yet grown so distant from each other in the years past".

Viserys looked around to look at their faces before taking his mask off, the heavy gold clunking on the table.

"My own face is no longer a handsome one if indeed it ever was. But tonight I wish for you to see me... as I am. Not just as king but your father, your brother, your friend, your husband and your grandsire. Who may not it seems walk amongst you much longer. Let us no longer hold ill feelings in our hearts. The crown cannot stand strong if the house of the dragon remains divided, but set aside your grievances if not for the sake of the crown but for this old man who loves you all so dearly",

"A most handsome prospect Viserys", Shaera claimed as she shared a look with Daemon.

"Prayer before we begin?",

"Yes".

"May the mother look down on us all. To the seven blessings and to Vaemond Velaryon", Alicent deadpanned as Daemon and Shaera snickered. Everyone was again sitting in silence when Rhaenyra spoke up.

"I wish to raise my cup to her grace the Queen. I love my father but nobody has stood by his side as you have. I also wish to speak of my aunt Shaera that has raised me in the absence of my mother and stayed by my side",

"Thank you dearest", Shaera smiled at her niece.

"Yes thank you, your graciousness moves me deeply Princess. We are both mothers and would do anything for our children. I raise my cup to you and your house, you will make a fine queen".

When everyone drank once more, Helaena stood much to the surprise of everyone.

"I wish to toast Baela and Rhaena, they will be married soon enough. Its not so bad mostly he just ignores you except sometimes when he's drunk". Everybody looked to Aegon who avoided eye contact. Shaera tapped Jace with her foot and motioned her eyes to Helaena. The two stood up to dance, their laughs brought joy to the rest. Bright smiles and memories relived until the food was brought out. The happy atmosphere was interrupted when Viserys left the table whilst the food was served. A roasted pig was set down infront of Aemond, Lucerys looked at him whilst Aemond stood abruptly.

"Final tribute to the health of my nephews, Jace, Luce and Joffrey. Each of them handsome, wise... strong",

"I dare you to say that again".

"Why, twas only a compliment. Do you not think yourself strong?".

Jace stepped forward punching Aemond who showed no effect, Lucerys stood to help his brother but was slammed against the table by Aegon. Alicent went to her son as Shaera sighed. Daemon finished his wine whilst Alyssa and Aemma watched amused, like father like daughters.

"Why would you say that infront of these people?",

"I was merely expressing how proud I am of my family mother, though it seems my nephews aren't as proud of theirs".

"Why would they be proud to be family with you?", Alyssa sassed as Aemond and Alicent sneered at her but stopped seeing Daemon and Shaera glaring at them, their body language in sync. Harwin went over to check on his sons before Rhaenyra told them to go to their chambers.

"Well that ended exactly how we all thought it would, utter disaster", Shaera spoke as she walked over to meet Alicent and Rhaenyra in the middle.

"I think we are to return to Dragonstone upon the morrow",

"But you've only just arrived".

"I will see to the children and then I'll return on Dragonback".

~
Daemon and Shaera were laid in their bed, basking in the blissful silence.

"What worries you, My flame",

"I fear for Viserys, I know death is inevitable but I do not think I am ready".

"Why is it that my brother always seems to make his way into our conversations when we are in bed?", he joked. Shaera hit him with a pillow as he drew patterns on her thigh with his finger.

"I'm serious Daemon, I worry for Rhaenyra. Without her father, she will be queen. I do not doubt her capabilities but having that much power knowing it came from the death of your loved one. I will forever feel a grudge for Aemma but Viserys has been a friend in my life for so long. I wished for Rhaenyra to never feel what I felt without my mother and father but-",

"You cannot rescue her from her fate. Rhaenyra is a woman grown and indeed pains me to see my brother in such condition but we cannot change it".

"I know but I know the throne will cause a downfall on us all",

"If it does we will kill every fucking traitor".

"Burn them to the ground",

"Exactly my flame, you and me and our children".

They both fell asleep in the embrace of the other, nobody would take them away from one another. Nothing, not even the never ending divide between the house of the dragon could separate them except the vivid flames of a pyre.